Chapter 30 - Ninja Turtle

----

Chapter 30 - Ninja Turtle

---

When Nobody glanced around at her again, eyes flicking to the ceiling and back nervously, Athira knew there was no choice to make. She'd made a promise, one she had no intention of breaking under any circumstances. 

Athira drilled the darkness ahead with her stare. Black flecks materialised outside her body, peeling from her skin as it sensed her decision. She made it wait until Nobody's gaze was back ahead, until Reader's underling had taken another four steps and her shoulders relaxed ever so slightly. 

Then she struck -- snapped her fingers open and thrust her arm forward. 

Colour surrounded Athira's hand as she coalesced it around Tracker's midsection. Tracker squealed as the black, now rope like colour tightened around her stomach. She reached out for Nobody too late, her fingers taking nothing but air with her as Athira pulled her back. 

Athira kept her colour shelled around Tracker even after she set the kid down behind her and swapped her attention to Nobody. 

Protect her. 

Nobody spun around, her wide eyes meeting with Athira's cool stare. "What--"

Athira didn't give her a chance to finish the sentence. 

She brought her second hand up and thrust them out to her sides. The black colour responded swiftly, swooping in and cocooning Nobody's body as it'd done a million times before to various individuals. It lifted the yellow colour to the wall, holding her near the ceiling of the tunnel and out of danger's reach. 

Nobody wriggled inside her prison, the panicked expression seeping into her voice. "Athira, what the hell--"

Athira squeezed her fingers and the void of her colour took hold. 

Nobody's connection with her colour was severed with a cry, revealing a dark-blonde haired figure where she'd been a moment before. Athira hardened the colour on Nobody and secured it to the wall, allowing her entire concentration to be focused on the intruder. 

There was a bang, and the flashlight went out. Tracker's terrified screams intensified. Athira could only see the side of the figure's face in the darkness, but she'd never needed light before. He was only partially facing her, his eyes having followed Nobody as she hit the wall. 

Athira dropped her cloak and rushed forward as the figure seemed to realise she was charging.

His hands went out to stop her. Athira dropped low and drove her shoulder into his chest. He stumbled back, struggling to keep his balance. She took his extended arm, pulling him forward and slamming his back into the wall with a twist. He grunted and tried to turn around, but Athira was faster. Her right forearm pressed against his throat as her left hand kept his pinned against his sides. 

"Don't even think about moving," growled Athira. "Who the hell are you and why are you following us?"

Her captive drew an audible, pained breath. "You realise this is the second time in as many days that you've attacked me now, right?" said a familiar voice. "Completely unprovoked, might I add."

Athira blinked, not sure if the tunnels were messing with her hearing. "Shift?"

Shift coughed. "Who else would be crazy enough to follow you down here?"

"You make a good point," said Athira, raising an eyebrow.

"I have my moments." Shift dropped his voice to a whisper and leaned closer until she could feel his warm breath on her face. "So... unless I'm going to get an apology kiss, can you let go of my throat?"