~Chapter One~

🌺~🌸~🌼
"We understand
death for the first time
when he puts his hand upon
one whom we love."

-Madam De Stael.
🌼~🌸~🌺

Clearing my throat and doing so by undergoing one rather unattractive cough, I straighten out the crumpled up piece of paper in front of me and begin to speak in what can only be described as forced confidence.

"Contrary to popular belief, the saying, 'everything happens for a reason' does not always live up to be true, nor does it make one feel better by repeating it over and over again," My voice begins to shake but I don't allow it to stop me.

"However, I must stress that although I stand by my opinion strongly, I cannot disregard my appreciation for the creator of said quote; admiring them for their efforts, even. Perhaps they were going through a particular rough patch in their own life and deemed delusional thoughts their only way forward? Or maybe they were simply trying to comfort someone else in their own messed up problems by making up some 'what will be, will be' crap,"

Silence.

"Whatever the reason, it isn't true. So, if you could all kindly refrain from using that particular phrase today, it would be very much appreciated."

Subjecting myself to yet another excruciating moment of quietness, I glare my hazel eyes into the ocean-blues that belong to my overly assertive twin sister, Anna; noticing straight away her utmost disapproval. Love-heart shaped lips gape open in a far from flattering manner and each eyebrow, both of which are drawn on with such precision, travel so far up her forehead, I'm sure they're going to disappear at any God given moment now.

"Well?" I ask, confidently awaiting some form of approval, though in reality I'm feeling nervous under the, now, thickening silence.

Rather than responding with spoken word, Anna let's slip a sudden bust of laughter, filling the entire room with her sweet sound; its caressing tone like literal music to my ears. Being the only source of her apparent amusement, I momentarily allow my own smirk to shine through, happy I've finally made her smile with my choice in speech for tomorrow's dreaded funeral.

"Oh honey, no way! You can't say that." she outrageously declares, though the trace of laughter prominent in her voice only moments ago doesn't quite disappear.

"What, why?" I question, setting my speech down on my desk and returning my attention back to her.

"Because, it's a eulogy, not a massive F-you to everyone." she retorts, seemingly sobering up from her laughing fit long enough to reply.

I let slip a reluctant breath in the hopes it strongly portrays my thoughts on her opinion and slump further into my cushioned chair, allowing my body to physically deflate as the daunting prospect of tomorrow's reality kicks in. I'm not particularly known for being in tune with my emotions, so having me speak at my Mother's wake is a task large at hand as far as I'm concerned. One in which I am absolutely not looking forward to.

"You do it then." I offer, already knowing the response to my suggestion.

Surely enough, I watch on as Anna carefully removes herself from the comfort of the bed to close the gap between us, sympathetic as ever. Then, using the power of one almighty smile and an encouraging shoulder squeeze, she offers me her utmost objections.