Chapter Two

"Vagary (n.) an unpredictable instance. A wandering journey. A whimsical, wild, unusual idea, or action."

Erin hadn't felt that one coming. She had been too star-struck by Captain America and distracted by the gadgets on the fallen soldier to notice the two other dark soldiers sneak up from the passage behind them. Her weak senses hadn't felt the other bomb.

The blast caused Erin to be thrown back against the wall. The contact was harder this time and she felt a sharp pain in her head as she landed on the ground, stars dancing in her eyes. After a few seconds the pain began to subside and she managed to lift her head up to see that Steve, Sam, and Wanda had been thrown back several yards away from her. They seemed alright, but they struggled to get up.

            "Trage-le!" One of the men in black shouted. Erin registered the forceful words Shoot them! in Romanian.

            Wanda's red glow collapsed the ceiling in front of the dark soldiers, giving the four of them enough cover to run for the exit.

            "Go!" Steve commanded and the four of them sprinted back down the hallway, shots flying past them. They came to another corridor and rounded a corner to hide. Steve and Sam pulled out their guns strapped to their sides and started firing back at the enemy. Wanda picked up various abandon objects on the ground and hurtled them across the hall.

All Erin could do was watch and feel completely powerless. She usually carried a handgun with her, but it needed cleaning so she left it at her apartment that morning . Her mind was racing and she couldn't focus her senses on one singular thing. All the commotion that was happening around her made the bullets and gadgets blur together.

She closed her eyes and focused all her energy on feeling for the biggest threat. She expanded her senses and focused on what she was looking for. For the first time in months, she embraced this thing that felt like a curse and tried to use it for something good. That's when she felt another pulse across the hall. She opened her eyes to see a blinking bomb landed between Sam and Wanda. Sam noticed it and shoved Wanda out of the way. Erin saw him throw his hands up to cover his face from the blow. That's when Erin acted on instinct.

The little tug inside of Erin came alive. She let the feeling consume her as she focused all of her energy to reverse the electric currents inside the bomb. She didn't think about the next part. She ran to pick it up. It only took her seconds to grab the bomb and throw it back at the two soldiers who looked bewildered that the bomb had been a dud. Erin reached for that feeling again inside of her. Another tug from Erin's gut and the bomb went off just before it landed at the soldier's feet. The two men flew back and landed on the ground unconscious.

            The world went quiet. The only thing Erin could hear was her own breathing and the ring in her ears. She stared at the three unconscious bodies on the ground, unsure if they were even alive. The only thing she could think was that she was responsible. I did this. I did this.

            "Hey!" Erin heard Steve's voice call behind her. The world spun back into motion. Erin turned to face the three of them. She opened her mouth to say something, but all the power and adrenaline she had moments ago rushed out of her. Her senses went numb and the tugging feeling in her gut vanished.

Something warm trickled down from the top of her head to the back of her neck. Her hand followed the trail of blood to its source. She flinched as her fingers felt a large gash that started to swell at the top of her head. She looked at her hand to examine the blood that stained her fingers. Dark spots started to cloud her vision as she tried to look at Steve, Sam, and Wanda in front of her. Her head felt light and her eyelids started to droop. She felt herself wobble to the ground. The last thing she saw was Steve running towards her as she fell into darkness.