Chapter Twenty Four

"Absquatulate (v.) to leave without saying goodbye"

"So this man, Nathanial Krav, was behind it all?" T'Challa asked. He had just gotten back from figuring out a mystery of his own. The team was gathered in the conference room as Steve and Erin tried to explain to him the events that had transpired over the past few days.

Erin nodded her head, "The flowers, the note, everything." She looked at the team around her until her eyes landed on Bucky sitting next to her.

"He must have been keeping tabs on all of the old HYDRA bases, just in case. That's how he tracked us." Steve said.

"So your father worked with Krav?" Sam directed the question towards Erin.

She took a moment before answering, "Yes, well Nathanial's father did. He went by Dr. Smith at S.H.I.E.L.D." She let out a dry chuckle then turned to Fury, "Any idea how you failed to see not one, but two infiltrations?"

Fury just glared at her.

"Do you think he was behind the death of your grandfather?" Wanda asked.

"I don't know," Erin replied quietly, "He said something about my mom but... I don't know."

"Bucky, how did he know the trigger words?" Steve asked.

Erin had also been curious about that, but if Bucky knew the answer, he didn't show it.

"I'm not sure," Bucky admitted, "They didn't start conditioning like that until years after my first mission... Maybe he had someone on the inside." He turned to look at Wanda. "I'm not blaming you Wanda, but... why was I still susceptible? I thought you were almost positive that stuff was out of my head."

Wanda looked sad. Erin knew she blamed herself for what happened, but she had no way of knowing there were even other people out there who knew how to activate the Winter Soldier.

Wanda swallowed, "We wove through your mind for months. I came across road blocks that led to different paths. And eventually I came to some kind of solid ground. The truth is, the mind is... it's a whole different kind of magic and science than whatever it is I have." She paused, "I'm not sure how to explain it. Think of it as a place that housed a button that I didn't want anyone to touch, so I had to create a shield around. I didn't want to destroy it because I didn't know how that would have effected you mentally. If I had made one wrong move, you could have been stuck in Winter Soldier mode forever. I was too scared to pull the problem up from the root." She admitted quietly, "Then Krav was able to break through the barrier I created. I'm not sure why, but... after Erin brought you back and we were able to work through your brain again, the blocks I created were still there, but that place in your mind with the button... it was destroyed. There were still traces, but..." She looked at Erin, "I think Erin took care of it." She gave Erin a small smile. "I don't think you're in danger of those words ever again."

Sam snorted, "I really hope we never have to be in another situation to find out."

"I have spoken with my psychological teams. They also feel Mr. Barnes is no longer susceptible to HYDRA influence." T'Challa asked.

Erin let out her breath and reached for Bucky's hand under the table. He found hers first.

T'Challa turned towards Bucky. "When this war is settled, I will make sure the world knows it." He said looking Bucky straight in his eyes.

Bucky stared back, "Thank you, for everything." His voice sounded shaky. Erin made a note to ask him about it later.

"Well, I think this calls for a celebration!" Sam said clapping Steve on the back.