Chapter Six

"Kenopsia (n.) The eerie, forlorn atmosphere of a place that is usually bustling with people but is now abandoned and quiet."

"Look who decided to surprise us," Clint said gesturing to a man Erin had never seen before. He was a tall and handsome with beautiful dark skin. He wore a tailored suit and a rings on each hand. One appeared to be a family seal and the other was a silver band with the shape of a cat eye at its center. There was something distinctly royal in the way he stood. That's when Erin knew: she was looking at the Black Panther.

"T'Challa, what are you doing here?" Steve asked shaking T'Challa's hand.

"I wanted to come myself." The king of Wakanda said. He turned his head and looked at Erin.

She felt a sudden urge to bow.

"Erin, this is T'Challa, king of Wakanda. T'Challa this is Erin McCall," Steve said gesturing to Erin, "She's the girl I sent a message to you about last night."

Erin narrowed her eyes at Steve, annoyed that he had told T'Challa about her before she had a chance to make her own first impression.

"Hello, Erin," T'Challa said nodding and smiling at her.

"Your highness?" She said smiling back. She felt a hot blush creep up on her cheeks.

"I apologize, but formalities must be cut short." T'Challa said turning back to Steve. "It is Barnes."

Steve's face fell and his eyes clouded with worry, "What's happened?"

T'Challa looked grave, "He has been taken."

*****

"What do he mean he's been taken?" Erin could tell Steve was doing everything he could to keep the anger in his voice low, but he wasn't succeeding very well.

T'Challa quickly told them that his research team had planned on moving Bucky to the safe house today so his they could continue to work with Wanda and now Erin. The truck had been hijacked and his team was working on tracking its location.

"I will arrange for you and your team to meet with mine in 15 minutes. We have a limited time opportunity to track the vehicle. Do what you need to be ready."

After T'Challa left Erin noticed Steve's eyes had gone dead. He was in soldier mode. "Suit up." He ordered.

The rest of the team jumped into action, sprinting in different directions to put on whatever gear they needed.

Steve set off to put on his own armor. Erin followed him, "How do you lose a 100 year old sleeping assassin?" Erin asked. She nearly had to sprint down the hallway just to keep up with his stride.

"Apparently someone has been keeping tabs on us," Steve said keeping his face focused straight ahead.

"I thought no one knew where you guys were."

"No one that wants to arrest us does."

"Then why would they take him?"

"Look I don't know!" Steve said stopping in his tracks and turned to look at Erin, "All I can think about right now is finding Bucky, we can fill in the rest later." Erin nodded, not allowing herself to be intimidated by the tone of Captain's voice.

Steve's eyes softened slightly, "Go to the training room, there should be something in there that's suitable combat gear until we can find you something different, can you do that?"