Chapter Eighteen

"Nebulous (adj.) not clear; difficult to see."

"Jamie, did grandpa ever shown you his trick?" 17-year-old Erin asked her brother James.

            It had been a week since her grandfather's funeral and she had done nothing but think of him since. It hadn't helped that her family had to go through all the belongings in his house. There had been pictures of family, his collection of comic books, and all of his old research papers and theories. They were all stored neatly in his basement.

            "What trick?" James asked flipping through the TV channels on his couch. James had moved into his own place in D.C. once he graduated and started working with their dad for S.H.I.E.L.D. Erin often took the metro train to escape from the house when she needed . James had always been there for her, ever since they were kids.

            "The one with the lights." Erin recalled the memory.

*****

Her grandfather would stand at one end of the hall in his house and make Erin stand by the main switched. 

Okay, Erin. Her grandfather would say, Are you ready?

            Seven-year-old Erin would nod her head eagerly in anticipation. This was her favorite trick. The single light in the hallway turned off then on. Off, on, off, on, off, on they would flicker until Erin giggled with glee.

            How do you do that grandpa? She would asked him, running into his arms. How do you make the lights turn off without touching the switch?

            I hope one day I can show you, Erin. Maybe even one day you'll be able to do it yourself. He would say.

            Really? Erin asked excitedly.

            One day, when you're ready, I'll show you how.

            I can't wait! Erin wrapped her arms tightly around her grandfather's neck, not yet knowing that the day he talked about would never come.

*****

"No, he never showed me that one, I was only interested in his comic collection." James laughed sadly.

            "He promised he would show me someday..." Erin trailed off. "There are so many things I want to know... should have asked him..." Erin studied the threads of the pillow she was clutching, tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

            "Hey," James said turning towards her, "Don't regret what you can't help. Remember everything he did say. He taught us to be brave, selfless, kind. He taught us to be everything he was. If we do that he'll never really be gone." James smiled at her and reached towards Erin's face. He gently wiped away a tear that had escaped down her face.

            "What if I can't be those things? What if I can't be brave?" Erin asked quietly.

            "You can't, not be something you already are." James gave her another smile and pulled her into one of his hugs. James's hugs were special. They had the ability to make Erin feel safe, like as long as her brother's arms were around her, nothing could harm her. For a while they sat there, embracing one another and for a moment, Erin allowed herself to let her walls down and feel safe.

*****

"So I hear you can do an electric trick," Nick Fury said.

            "Something like that," Erin replied, her arms crossed over her chest..