Chapter 4

Two weeks later.

Ultear gratefully took the soup from your hands and quickly started eating the warm beverage. The last two weeks had been long and gruelling for the young mage. But, slowly and surely, she had recovered, meaning both Meredy and Jellal were in better spirits too, seeing their friend recover made their eyes shine brighter and their smiles wider.

You put the extra soup, in a canteen, down next to her. It clanged against the floor, and stood slightly tilted on the hay that was scattered around the floor. You watched it for a few moments to make sure that it stayed balanced. You place two more canteens by Meredy's and Jellal's bed.

Ultear looked up at you from her food, "thank you," she smiled and you nodded your response. Over the last few days however, the little old lady that you were staying with, Barbra, was also ill. She told you to take care of Ultear over her, but Ultear was getting better, Barbra wasn't.

The other two were busy preparing various things so that when Ultear was able to travel, which would be very soon, they could go. They had dried food, water canteens and had managed to make some new tents. They told you they wanted to travel and practice their magic, helping people along the way.

You went to walk out the barn, before you were called back, "Is Barbra still ill?" Meredy's head popped up from behind a barrel of hay to ask. Two extra pair of eyes turned to you, sympathy swimming behind them. You had become their friend these last two weeks. You were always happy to talk to them and always made them feel better. Something the three of them had never experienced.

You nodded your head, trying not to frown. You had no idea what was wrong with her, only that she was in a lot of pain, but she wouldn't let you examine her in anyway. So you had to guess where the pain was and how to treat it. You hadn't told the others that, not wanting to worry them.

Meredy gave you a pained smile, "oh. Well, tell her we hope she gets better!"

You smile and nod, turning to leave the barn and go back to the main house. You just hope that today she'll let you help her more. You went and got some more herbs yesterday but if you can't examine her then you can't really help.

***

The next few hours in the barn went by in silence. Everyone had their own little things to worry about but there was one problem troubling the trio. You. You were always so happy, and despite the mood being solemn towards the little old lady whose house you stayed at, you still managed to smile.

Ultear fell asleep at some point, but they had agreed to leave in a day or two. Ultear had told them that she could travel, but you had convinced her to rest a bit longer. Another reason, however, that they stayed, was all of them didn't want to leave their new friend behind.

Meredy and Jellal were sitting around a makeshift heater spell, a small magic circle kept the heat contained so that the three of them could keep warm. It wasn't cold, but it wasn't very warm either and the needed to make sure Ultear didn't get ill again.

It was in the peaceful, thoughtful silence that stretched throughout the bar. Ultear suddenly sat up, gasping for breath. The two of them ran over to her in an instant.

"What's wrong?" Meredy asks, her voice filled with panic.

"I- can't-" Ultear tried to say, but started coughing. Jellal quickly jumped to his feet and ran out of the barn, sprinting towards the house. Just as he burst through the back door just as his hand started tingling.

Jellal glanced down at his hand and the strange, distant taping sensation he felt against his hand. He recognised the magic immediately. He stood still and closed his eyes, feeling the sensation, trying to get the message behind it. They had come up with a system that Meredy had to use her magic for. One tap, meant danger nearby stay on high alert.

Two taps, meant come back to camp.

Three taps, meant danger adverted.

Dashes, were referring to the type of danger. One dash being one mage, five dashes being the equivalent of an S-Class monster.

Jellal was getting three taps. Danger adverted? Did that mean Ultear was alright. Jellal sighed in relief and turned around only for a voice to stop him.

"How is your friend young man?" The voice was old, worn by time and the obvious illness that she had. Jellal turned to face the women, a small blanket was wrapped around her shoulders, a dull wooden cane keeping her upright. White, thin hair brushed her shoulders, that matched her night dress that brushed the floor slightly.

"She's fine," Jellal sighed, "I was panicking over nothing."

The woman hummed in response, "you were looking for (Y/N), yes?" Jellal nodded, remembering what you told him about her bad sight, unsure if she could see the movement, "the poor child is in bed." The women wandered around the kitchen, turning to look at Jellal every so often, "helping people takes it out of her. Especially two people." Guilt bloomed in Jellal and he hung his head in shame feeling responsible. A croaking laugh echoed through the kitchen, "oh, my dear boy you are very funny," a long, bony finger pointed towards the top of one of the cupboards, "now use that height of yours to get me that jar."

Jellal nodded, unsure whether to feel insulted, used or amused by the little old ladys behaviour. Jellal walked around the kitchen and easily reached on top of the cupboard, and passed the small ceramic jar to the lady.

"Thank you," she smiled, twisting it in her hands, a distant look growing in her eyes. She looked back up at Jellal and it was now that Jellal could see the tears in her eyes. "May I speak to you openly?

"Of course," Jellal said, his voice betraying how unsure he was. The woman seemed a bit erratic, from being seemingly frail to cracking jokes at his expense.

She beamed up at him, "I have a confession, to make, one that beautiful little lady upstairs doesn't know," Jellal raised a brow but stayed quiet, "I'm dying," Jellal froze at the confession, dying. What did that mean for you? Where would you go? You had no one! "I have been for some time now. Long before (Y/N) came into my life, but I could never find the courage to tell her. I didn't want to see her frown, she's always so happy," the woman looked down at her jar again, a sad smile coming over her face, "but I guessed you already knew that."

"Why are you telling me this?" Jellal asked, his palms clammy. He agreed with the little old Lady, the thought of seeing you sad, not smiling, broke his heart. He had no idea why, but he quickly promised himself he would try to resolve it.

"I need to ask you for a dying wish."

"Me?" Jellal gasped, shocked beyond words.

"Yes, you. And your friends too."

Shaking his head to gain some composure, he remembered why he broke out of prison a year ago, Jellal put a hand on the woman's shoulder, "anything."

"Take care of her for a while. She'll act happy but she'll be so upset when I die. Watch over her until she gets somewhere safe," she saw the shock in Jellals eyes and smiled, "it should only be for little while. Not that she'll be a burden, that girl can take care of herself I don't doubt but other people tend to take advantage of someone with a kind and gentle soul like hers."

Jellal didn't even had to think of his answer, "I promise," he smiled.

She nodded, "good. Now go back to your friends and tell them the deal you made with the devil."

Jellal laughed slightly, for the first time in a long time and made his way back to the barn. That was the first time Jellal was truly able to help someone. To relieve them of their burdens, minus you with the Vulcans but that time it was different. This time he helped a womans' dying wish, he finally realised he was changing, and that he could make a difference.

By the time Jellal made it back to the barn the others looked at him expectantly, especially with the cheesy grin he had on his face. So, he told them the promise he made and without any words of encouragement the other two also promised the old lady.

You had a place in each of their hearts now, more than they wanted you to have at first but now they wouldn't have it any other way. You were the light that needed to see in the darkness. The thing in the world that represented good, and they were going to help you.