Chapter 6

One Week Later

You watch as the birds peacefully fly from trees to tree, but they never stayed in the area too long. The loud magical blasts broke the tranquillity every so often. For a week since the trio told you they wanted to help people they'd been training. Throwing magic spell, after magic spell at one another. You, being the designated 'healer', didn't step in, only when the training got a bit too rough. Of course, they asked if you wanted to learn magic. You'd shake your head and politely decline. They didn't need to know, and they never would, you hoped. Magic was not something you wanted to learn, it was something you wanted to forget.

But one thing still nagged at your mind, one that had slowly become a growing concern. The trio had told you they wanted to help people, repent for their sins, but how? That much they never explained. They had been training, so it was obvious that they wanted to use their magic to do it. You had come to the conclusion you needed to confront them on it.

So, when they stopped for lunch, you summoned the courage to ask, "how are you going to help them?"

Their eyes quickly shoot to you, shocked, "what do you mean?" Jellal asks, his eyes shooting back of forward, between the other two of his friends, sometimes hovering over you again.

"A week ago, you all told me that you wanted to help people. Repent for what you had done. That was why Meredy and Ultear left grimoire heart, and why they broke you out of prison to help. So how do you plan on helping people?"

They all avoid eye contact, looking away sheepishly, "we don't know," Ultear sighed, "you were the first person any of us have actually helped since we decided to do our quest, only you ended up helping us and joining our," her hands waved around the camp, "group."

You bite your bottom lip in thought, "hmmm. Maybe..." you think aloud, "oh I know!" The trio look at you in hope, leaning ever so slightly forward, "you guys could join a wizard guild!"

Jellal raised a brow, "are there any other type of guilds?"

You shrug, "some, I ran into some weird guys once that said they were from a treasure hunting guild. I figured there must be other types as well," the blank looks you got told you they had never heard of them, or that specific type of guild. "Anyway, you guys could join a wizard guild. They help people all the time."

Jellal shook his head, "we can't, even if we wanted too. We're fugitives, we need to do this our way, a way that we can help. Besides, we don't want to do this for money."

You nod, and go silent in thought, "I don't know then. I'll have to think a bit more."

They all nod, and Ultear stands, "we've been here two days now. We need to move, and we still have a half a day to get a start."

Nodding, everyone followed Ultear up and started packing up the camp. We didn't have a lot. The bare minimum to survive, we got more from when we left the old ladies house a week ago. But still, it wasn't really enough.

When the camp was packed and the camp fire had been put out the four of you began to travel. The trees and forest floor had gotten easier to navigate after a while of travelling. Your feet, you found, had become tougher against the thick roots and you could navigate the floor without looking down. But with a large back pack of stuff, it was harder than it looked. Of course, everyone had their share, but that didn't mean that it still wasn't hard.

But your mind was occupied with other thoughts, how to help your new friends, help themselves. The notion was easier than putting it into practice, the common practices was out. They couldn't join a guild, the army, or become private hire wizards. Not that putting themselves up for private hire would help people a lot.