Chapter 23: Change of Mind

Bella POV

I couldn't stay there anymore, I had to leave and rid myself of this guilt. I mean cheating on Edward, my mate, is one thing, but lying to him about how everything transpired is another. God why did I have to be so stupid! Why couldn't I have just told him the truth, who knows, maybe he would've understood, right? Anyways, I just don't see the point in living anymore, I've hurt my loved ones, destroyed the trust they all had for me. I ruined a marriage, yes, Carlisle told me about the divorce, but i'm the only one who knows, unless Edward read his thoughts, and Alice foresaw their decison. I never meant to come between them, I know how much Esme loved Carlisle, Hell I know how much he loves her. I've always seen Esme as the vampiric mother I never had, but now I hurt her, and ruined her marriage.

Currently I was walking towards the building next to the clock tower, yes, the clock tower where I saved Edward from death.. I ducked and doged the noisy humans, and swiftly made it towards the door. Once inside, I made my way down the narrow hallway, and to the Elevator, that would then lead me to the giant door. I quietly waited inside of the small elevator, getting slightly annoyed with the classical music playing. Anyways, I was contemplating whether or not I really wanted to end my life. By now I was positive Alice had already seen my arrival, so there is no hiding it from them, nor making a dramatic entrance.

The elevator made a dinging noise, letting me know we were at our destination. The doors pried open, and i quickly stepped out. I walked past the front desk, as the woman, Heidi, I think her name was, kept asking me my name.

I wasn't in the mood for talking, considering I was about to die, so I ignored her and yanked the gigantic doors open, to reveal a suspecting Alice, an emotional Jasper, an angry looking Roslice, Emmette and Rosalie. I ignored their stares, and continued my way until I was in front of Cauis, Marcus, and a huge smiling Aro.

"Bella, dear what brings you here? Shouldn't you be resolving things with your husband?" Marcus asked curiously.

"I...-" I began, but Alice cut me off.

"She no longer wishes to live." She said, a little to happy for my taste. Gasps echoed throughout the room, except for Aro, who's smile never altered.

"Bella, why?" Rosalie asked.

"I can speak for myself Alice, and that's none of your concern Rose." I snarled.

She hissed at me, as Emmette wrapped his arms around her waist, doing his best to calm her.

"But, it is ours." Aro replied.

I sighed, smoothing out my floral top, and looking up at Aro. "I know.."

"So Isabella, Why do you wish to die?" Aro asked.

I took a deep breath, then exhaled. "I can't go on-"

"Aro, do you know where I put the-" Esme began, but quickly holted her actions when she noticed me.

"Oh hi Bella, didn't know you were here." She sid sweetly.

I furrowed my eyebrows together, "Wait, don't you hate me." I asked.

She chuckled a bit and smiled her famous smile. "Oh no dear, I could never hate you. Yes, I was hurt, and when Aro took me, he interrogated me, then cleaned me up, gave me a place to stay... then" She trailed off.

I raised and eyebrow, "And then what?" I asked.

She looked at Aro, almost as if she was asking for permission, he simply nodded. "Well.." She began. "Shortly after everything had seemed to be settled, we found out that we were mates, true mates." She finished.

A small yet audible gasp left my lips. "How??" I choked out, but before she could answer, the giant doors burst open.

"Bella Don't!!" I heard Edward yell. I turned around to see him and Carlisle running towards me.

They both stopped short with confused expressions on their faces. I then noticed they weren't staring at me anymore, so I followed their gazes, and landed on Esme.

"I thought you were dead?" Carlisle asked Esme.

"No, no.. I have just been staying here." She replied, not making even the slightest bit of eye contact with him.

I looked over to Edward, who seemed to be lost in thought, probably trying to figure out how Esme and Aro are mates. "Why didn't you come home?" Carlisle asked, speeding over to her, and attempting to hold her hand, but she pulled away.

"Carlisle, I'd appreciate if you didn't touch me." She said, as nicely as she could manage.

"Look Esme I know-" Edward cut him off.

"Bella, why didn't you go through with it?" he asked me.

"Because, I ran into Esme, and we were talking.. sorta, then you guys barged in. Plus, I have a daughter who needs me." I replied, earning a few low growls from Alice and Jasper. I ignored them and turned my attention back to Carlisle and Esme. I gave Esme a look, and nodded for her to tell Carlisle why she really never came back home, he deserved to know.

"Carlisle-" She stopped and took a breath. "Would you like to stay for dinner?" She finished.

He smiled and nodded. "Great, it's settled, you, Bella and Edward will stay for dinner." She said quickly ruhsing out of the room, leaving us all baffled.

I sighed. "But I have to get back to Ness!" I whined.

Edward chuckled. "She's with Jake at La Push, somewhere you and I both know is where she'd rather be anyway."

I nodded, "I guess your right."

Esme POV

As the servants prepared dinner, I was busy setting the table. Tonight was going to be a long night, I'm sure Bella won't leave without me telling Carlisle that Aro and I are mates and I know I shouldn't care what Bella wants me to do, but I'm doing this for Carlisle's sake. It's obvious that he misses me, but me and him will never work out again. We can't work out again.

"Need some help.?" someone asked. I jumped, obviously startled a bit.

I turned around to see Carlisle leaning against the door frame laughing.

"You would think out of all your years of being a vampire, you would sense me coming." he joked.

I smiled, "Guess I'm a little out of practice."

"As for your request, I could use some help." I added. He nodded and began to help me set the dinner table, which held over 60 people, or shall I say vampires.

"So, you live here eh?" He asked, breaking the small silence We had.

"Uh, Yeah." I replied awkwardly, I knew where this was going.Come on Esme think, come on.

"Look Esme -" He began, but was interrupted.

"Esme Dear, I- " Aro began, but stopped dead cold in his tracks, when he saw us.

He glared at Carlisle, and boy when I say if looks could kill, Carlisle would've died a thousand times.

"What's he doing in here?" Aro hissed viciously.

"Um.. He was just helping, but now he's leaving." I said, turning and giving Carlisle the look that screamed 'Get out!' but I guess he didn't catch on Because he just stood there.

"I was?" He questioned and in response I nodded quickly.

"Carlisle, I advise you leave." Aro spoke slowly moving towards us.

Carlisle was about to reply, when everyone else began to file In.

"I think I'll stay." He said motioning to the many people entering the room.

He smirked at Aro, and took a seat at the end of the table..

I sighed, rubbing my temples.. this was going to be a VERY long night...