Ch.24. Team Up

(**Warning! In some future chapters, (including this), there will be some swear words 🙂**)

"What?!" I pull away from him.
"I need to get outta here... This cell has been driving me insane." He tells me, unaware of my surprise, "I hate this place, though the food they gave me wasn't actually as bad as you would think. Not that-"
"Dan!" I interrupt, "What did you say? About the little pink haired boy?"

He looks taken back for a moment, but he returns to being grateful for his release soon after.
"Well..." Dan starts, "I'm not sure how long I've been here but I assume only a few days, but since I woke up here, he's been coming in here and trying to interrogate me."
"Trying?" I ask.
"I don't know...? When he comes in here, he just stands there... And I can feel him, poking and prodding in my brain..." Dan shudders, seeming to remembers this in detail, "He always leaves a few minutes later, like he was frustrated or something... But the last time he came in, he left with an evil smile... But that was yesterday... Can we get outta here? I don't want to stay here any longer..."

I agree and help him limp towards the door. The gunshot seemed to be healing, but not as quickly as we would have hoped if we're going to make it out, alive. I finally help him limp through the doorway into the large room with the large double-doors. I stagger forwards as Dan's weight suddenly shifts onto my left shoulder.

"Bloody hell!" Dan cries as he hits the ground, "Why am I so fucking clumsy! Ow that hurts so much..."
"Oi! I know you got shot..." I joke as I help him up from the ground, with Dan still clutching his side, "and swearing probably makes it feel better, but come on... There could be kids around here..."
"Ha... ha... I'm laughing my effin' face off right now..." He says sarcastically, with a joking undertone.

Suddenly, a load bang comes from the room opposite to the one Dan was in. We both suddenly go silent, scared of what made that sound. Perhaps it was Jack? I start to rush forwards to check but find my arm pulled back by the giant behind me.
"Just be careful, I can barely move so I won't be able to help if something happens... Okay?" He warns. I nod and make my way more quietly as Dan slumps down against the wall near his own door.

Something inside my mind tells me that there's nothing to worry about, but my heart beats faster with ever step. I reach out to touch the doorknob, but I quickly pull back as the bang sounds out again. Except it doesn't seem like a bang, more like an object knocking against a wall. I take a few moments to muster all the courage I can, before I reach out and turn the knob quickly.

I push the door and it swings away from me. Something rushes towards me as a final Bang rings out.

It all happens so suddenly. In one moment, I'm opening the door and I'm the next I'm lying on the floor. A heavy weight is pushing down on me. Once my head stops spinning I realise it's some broken bars. Cell door bars? And staring me in the face was best person I could have hoped for.
Bella Edwards
A laugh struggles to surface until I can't hold it any longer. She soon joins me, with jagged laugher coming from the opposite side of the room, which I assume is Dan's.

"Oh my God!," Bella laughs.
"Fancy meeting you here," I reply, only causing us to laugh even more. She gets up and lifts the heavy cell door. My heart finally slows down as the adrenaline in my system is used up. I guess I hoped that the person in this cell was Jack, but I assume it won't be that easy to find him.

Silence falls after we finally stop laughing. I guess giggling is a human reflex to help cope with everything. My mind settles finally on what just happened. Bella offers her hand out and I take it. She seems to still have her powers, I guess Dan is too weak to even try.

"Are you okay?" I ask.
"Alright, I guess. I should be asking you that!" She replies.
"I'm fine."
"I'm not fine!" Calls Dan awkwardly from across the room.
"Guess what!" Bella suddenly squeals.
"You're secretly a dog?" I joke.
"Close... I found my second power!" She yells, "I can heal!"
"Woah! How'd you find that out?" I ask, seriously wondering if I could find my own powers out the same way.
"Okay, you know when you got knocked out in my room when she appeared...Well... She shot me right here." Bella points to her right shoulder, "I of course blacked out as well. But, when I woke up just before, my mind kept telling me to focus my energy on it. Gosh it was so cool..."
"So do you think... Ow... It might work on me then?" Dan calls, followed by his grunts and curses of failing to stand.
"Yeah I'll try, just sit still." Bella replies moving towards him.

I sit next to Dan in silence. Bella comes over and kneels on the other side of him. She extend her hands to hover over his wound and closes her eyes. She scrunched up her face, almost succeeding in making me chuckle. She stays like this for a few moments, until Dan breaks the awkward silence.
"Do I have abs, yet?" Dan and I start to chuckle but Bella seems confused.

She walks back over to the cell door bars still lying twisted on the ground. In one swift motion she leans down and slices her left hand. Drops of blood trickle down her fingers and make patterns on the concrete floor. She covers her injured hand with the other and closes her eyes. I notice a faint light seeping from the crevices of her fingers. She then wipes the blood droplets on her shorts and tests her hand. I gasp, no sign of a cut anywhere along her hand.

"I guess it's only self healing..." Bella mumbles, with a muffled groan comes from Dan.
"Alright... Let's check the other cells, then we'll find the kid."