Aprils Fools Day

➰Foul Language➰

The smell of coffee floated blissfully through the tiny 2 bedroom apartment as I stumbled around looking for the shoes my daughter had thrown to the side last night. Her school uniform was already on and her socks. Just these shoes left. I sighed and heaved myself down on the worn yellow couch,shoes in hand.

The sounds of the water faucet and giggling reached my ears above the sirens and hissing of the streets of Gotham. Jesus. It stank. Like piss and alcohol which wasn't too surprising given I owned the nightclub below me, Wild Card was just another reason why I even bothered staying. I could be someplace nicer like Metropolis if I hadn't had this place under my belt. A good source of money that paid the bills and all that jazz. Glancing at the clock I sprung up.

"Claire,baby! I need you to hurry up. School starts in half an hour and it takes twenty to get there." I pulled my boots on and grabbed Claire's backpack. Watching my 9 year old scramble out of the bathroom to show me her toothpaste covered face.

" Jesus girl. Are your teeth clean enough?" I laughed out loud.

"Mamma. Can I keep it on? Its fools day and I want everyone to think I has the rabies. " I really wanted to groan.

Because seriously,rabies? That's the first thought she had for Aprils fools day. We could do better. I laughed out loud and turned to face her again.

" Boo. I can't have you walking through this city with all that junk on your face. It will be black by the time we get to school." I laughed again and tossed her the apple I had filled with worms.  "Try this instead. Give it to your teacher and tell her She's your favorite."

With us both giggling and shoving our coats on, we stumbled out into the cold and desolote streets. Ducking past the cars and the steaming sewer drains. I waited there by the gates. Watching as she drew close to her friends and smiled. Turning around, I started the walk back.

I knew my dad would pick her up from school today so I could focus on work. Keeping her the whole weekend per usual. Entertaining her with cartoons and ice cream and love. She needed that male figure in her life and I was blessed to have my dad around to help. Especially in this town.  If there's one thing that never quits in Gotham, it's the nightlife around here. Even the slums open up their pockets to get in and dance the night away with alcohol coursing through their systems. And with the clientel I get, its always been easier to stay in the office and go over all the finances and orders with the sporadic entertaining of customers. Most of the people come in hoping to catch a glimpse of Ivy and The Riddler. Maybe even the Joker. So many of our cities villains pass through looking to make deals and do business with than local gangsters. Or just have 'fun' as they liked to call it.

Not that I'm going to pay any attention. I have no death wishes considering I'm only running he club so I can afford the tuition to send my daughter to the private school. God but I want so much better for her.

Passing the shops and the bums, I go back up to my flat and start whittling away on the paper work and schedules. Every so often fixing my coffee and getting a rundown on deposits for the DJ. Making the appropriate phone calls on schedules. Manager life stuff. Tonight, tonight felt different. Tonight felt like trouble.I could tell from the noises outside my window that All the crazies were littering the street like discarded candy wrappers ready to fuel their night with the drugs and the beats that would start blaring from the club. It was just a simple matter now of getting dressed and walking to the side door in my room that led downstairs that had me wiping my palms from sweat.

Jesus. I'm gonna need a shot. Or seven.

I looked over the forms again. Double checking them. The vip booth had been rented out by non other than the Joker. Some one was gonna die tonight and i would have to clean it all up. I had the Cleaners on speed dial. In the slums there is a mutual understanding. No cops. All kills in the club were kept private and I had a group of 'cleaners' on call for these occasions.