Look Closer

Finals were around the corner and I felt like I was living off Coffee and redbull with a splash of aderall. I laughed slightly as I snorted another line. The pink substance flooding my sense of smell and the drip tasted like melted sugar and pineapple. Not bad not bad.

I leaned back over my laptop and finished the 5 page essay and then the online quizzes. The sound of my coffee maker dripping out the golden life providing substanace made me smile.

Stars when you shine.
You know how I feel.
Scent of the pine.
You know how I feel.
Oh freedom is mine and I know how I feel.

Avicii was playing in the background as I stood and rolled my stiff muscles. So caught up in the moment I almost missed my phone ringing. Without a glance I pressed accept and started into my next paper.

"Yello?"

"Alice! Its..uhh..its Bruce." I giggled a bit at his uncertain tone and placed my redbull down on the table.

"My fav playboy! How ya been?" I looked at the new line of Addy and crossed my legs.

"I'm good thanks. Look. I was calling to see if you were busy tonight? I have an oh so boring charity ball to attend but I'm lacking in the date department.." he trailed off a bit.

"And...you want me to fill in your date less gap?" I questioned.

"Only as friends! I just wanted to go with someone who I can really appreciate being with. Make it a bit less dull." his voice brimmed with humour and smiles.

"Lemme check my calender..." I looked around at my apartment. I could Netflix and homework....or go to a ball. Coffee and Addy...or a ball. Sweatpants or pretty dresses? Okay. This was redundant. "Do I get champagne and free food? Like those itty baby shrimps?"

"Of course. Haha. It wouldn't be a ball without those." his dark chuckle over the phone had me squirming. Just a little bit.

"Okay. You Gotchya self a deal. But you gotta pick me up. My cars at the shop." meaning my driveway while I youtubed ways to fix it. I smiled as he agreed, saying he would be there at 9. I glanced at the clock and knew of have about an hour to get myself ready and I walked to my closet.

Thanks to my anonymous donor, I had been given a very handy, very nifty, credit card with no limit. And I might have gone overboard on shopping. No doubt it was going Tom pay off. I grinned as inlaid the black float evening gown on the bed with the matching 6 inch heels and the delicate jelwery I figured would look good.

I sat in the exquisite tiled shower, letting the misty waters brush over my body in fine lines scrubbing myself down. Glad I had waxed all the important bits. Finishing that I sat in front of the vanity and began to dry and style my hair. I was satisfied with the simple up do letting my hair turn a soft brown. Then make up. Smokey eyes with a hint of green and gold. Ruby red lips and contouring. Easy peasy I sighed out. Shrugging out of the towel and walking through the apartment naked as I let my body air out naturally. I turned the music up and pulled out my wine.

A girl can never go wrong with great hair and make up and a bottle of wine. I thought. Holding the glass loftily and stretching again. I wanted to pure like Selina. I glanced at my Windows and looked at the skyline of Gotham. From where I lived, and up this high. It was gorgeous. Bustling and lovely. Full of life. I giggled at the sound of a gunshot. Knowing that behind these glittering lights, was corruption and death.

I flinched when I felt like I was being watched. All those lessons from my Mamma Cat had made me sharper. She knew about what happened under Stranges care and was helping me tone my abilities. I was capable of things I never thought of. Most of what I had learned was all by accident. I never knew I could scale buildings or become invisible. I was like a chameleon. Able to change myself on a whim. Blend into shadows. I was stronger. Better. I was beautiful chaos wrapped in a party dress.