The Girl with the Green Eyes

Chapter Seven
The Girl with the Green Eyes

It's insane how the world works. I can't help but stare at her. Wordlessly.

She's breathing heavily with the look of guilt lingering on her face.

"I'm so sorry I'm late," she breathes, trying to catch her breath looking like she is about to cry.

"Desirae, this is your buddy, Chris," states Janine somewhat dignified. I nod and she gives me an ear-to-ear grin.

Janine hands Desirae a booklet, "I'll drop by tomorrow and fill you in on what you missed Des, but for now, I'll give you two some time to get to know each other," she says with a smug smile before leaving the building.

All of a sudden this room feels too small, too hot. I figure there's no use standing around if I've got nothing to say, so I walk out.

There's a beautiful winter sunset outside as the setting sun peaks through the pastel clouds.

Before I get another glance at the sky, Desirae is standing beside me.

"Hey Chris, I'm sorry I was late, I just got caught up in-"

"it doesn't matter," I interrupt, reluctant to make eye contact with her.

I don't intent to be rude, but I honestly don't know how to feel about her; about any of this.

She was an unexpected surprise, a surprise that I don't know how to feel about.

It was like waking up to a summer day in the middle of winter; I get a twinge of fear in my stomach.

I thought I'd wanted to see her again for so long, and now that we're 'buddies', I'm getting all sorts of terrible feelings about it.

She is quiet for a moment "I'm Desirae by the way,"

"I know," I say simply, handing her the card with her name on it.

"This program huh? It's a great way to connect with youth," she says sounding desperate to make conversation.

"It's a bit of a time waster if you ask me, bloody socialist government," I say. I'm not trying to sound negative, but just totally honest like I've been my entire life.

"Well would you rather have a government that didn't care for its people?" she asks tilting her head sidewards slightly.

I don't say a thing, she gracefully put me in my place.

I look at her for the first time. She is remarkably more beautiful than I could've ever remembered.

Her emerald green eyes are like luminous orbs in the sunset as her caramel brown skin shone and glittered; the freckles around her nose brought out her copper-coloured, fluffy curls blowing in the breeze.

She is dressed in a black turtleneck dress with a camel brown coat.

She is truly one of the most unusually magnificent things I have ever set my eyes on.

"I'm sorry about today Chris. I wish I could stay longer but I've got... well anyway, I really want to get to know you so we could both make the most out of this."

I take my eyes off her, struggling to take any of what she is saying in.

"Why don't we meet up at lunch say... Tuesday?... lunch can be on me, just to make up for today," she smiles.

Her smile makes my heart twinge.

"You don't have to do tha-"

"I don't have to," she interrupts, "but I want to. I've already made up my mind, so good luck changing it" she beams and her eyes glow.

"It was nice meeting Chris, and it'll be even better getting to know you," she waves.

I'm not quite so sure about that.

I'm left feeling breathless. This girl is as colourful as she dresses.

In the midst of all the signals going on in my brain telling me that this is a terrible situation to be in; to be so vulnerable to the consequence of heartbreak, there is a small feeling, a feeling that feels foreign to me.

The feeling of excitement.

I walk up the stairs of my apartment building, thinking about everything that just happened.

All those thoughts leave my mind when I arrive at my front door.

Something feels off, it's a strange, off-putting feeling; like I'm not alone, like I'm seconds away from walking into the unknown. But this time it's more than a feeling.

The front door of my apartment is unlocked. Never, have I ever, in my two years of living here, left the door unlocked, whether I'm inside or out.

This could only mean one thing. There is someone inside my apartment.