Compromises

Chapter Nine
Compromises

After much anticipation, it's finally Tuesday.

I only had to wait a day, but it felt like a year.

Today is the day that I'm going to see Desirae for lunch, to make matters lighter, I got the day off which means I could sleep in 'til about 11AM.

But even with that in mind, I managed to wake up at 5AM and have early morning thoughts.

I keep trying to convince myself that there is nothing to be excited about. Sure, Desirae seems like a good person to be around, but is it worth getting attached to her?

I try to figure out strategies to simply enjoy her company without falling in too deep. Simple; I just won't tell her anything about me, that way, neither of us get attached and when this program is over we can never see each other again and we'll both be fine.

Speaking of attachment; Jeremy seems more eager now than ever to call himself my friend. After the night of my birthday, he's been calling and texting more often, I don't even know how the kid got my number.

Yesterday at work he tried to convince Ramen to let us work in the same district and he succeeded in it. As of next week, Jeremy and I will be working a few blocks apart as 'partners'. Brilliant.

My attempt to distance myself from the kid only literally brought us closer.

Now that's two relationships in my life that I'm forced into and don't plan on staying committed to.

That's what happens when you let your feelings get in the way; if I had kicked him out that night, he'd want nothing to do with me; the best case scenario for both of us.

I fall back into sleep and wake up at 11:05AM. I decide to get up, seeing as how I've got to leave in about an hour.

I stare at myself in the bathroom mirror, my hair looks like a literal snow mountain and my skin as pale as ever.

After a quick shower I attempt to comb my hair. It's no use. I mean it's neater than bed hair, but still ruffled and messy.

I put on a long sleeved, dark, baseball tee and some black jeans with some sneakers.

I throw my rucksack over my shoulder and make my way out, scanning my apartment, memorising where everything is placed before I leave.

I wave Winston goodbye and lock my apartment door.

It's a bright day out, spring has come to say hello. It's a little cold, but the warm, patchy sunrays gleaming down from the clouds balances it out.

I put my headphones in and make my way to the Brioche café where we agreed to meet.

Upon my arrival, I see her waiting outside the café; wearing a baggy green sweatshirt with black denim jeans and red boots; her hair as wild as ever.

To be fair, it wasn't difficult to spot her, dressed like that.

"Chris! Hey" she smiles; I smile back politely.

"Shall we?" she asks opening the door, I nod and walk in after her.

She walks towards the tables by the window, away from my usual spot in the dark corner; I'm a little disappointed by this, but I won't care to admit it.

She sits and has a read of the menu.

"So why here?" she asks scrunching up her nose, "huh?" I retort searching for the little old lady who owns the café.

"I mean; why did you want to have lunch here?"

I look at her; her luminous green eyes make the green jumper look like it's black.

"I... don't know, its' close to work I guess, it's the only place I eat... and it's central to everything in the city."

"Fair point Chris, though the lady who owns the café is a complete nut, I hear,"

"That isn't true," I say almost defensively.

"I wish I could agree with you mate, but it's why most people stay away from this place; she treats her customers like garbage."

"I don't think we're talking about the same person," I say leaning back,

"that's her, isn't it?"

I turn my back to see the sweet old lady, only this time, she isn't the smiling woman I always see her as, she is almost scowling at the people in the café.

She makes eye contact with me and an immediate smile grows on her face. It is the most unusual thing I have ever seen. It was like she had switched to a completely different person.

I look back at Desirae who's looking back between the old lady and I in amazement.

"I didn't know you two were... close?" she says wide-eyed,

"I don't even know her name... just that she smiles at me and makes all my orders herself... but I thought she did that for everybody..."

I am at a complete loss for words. I mean, you think you know a person and then you realise you only know one side of that person; a side so small that only you see it.

I ordered my regular ceasar-wrap and Desirae ordered some sandwich.

"So, tell me about yourself?" she asks and my heart stops. The dreaded question, "I want to know your life story Chris."

"Well, it's a pretty short one," I say blandly, "I grew up in foster care and now; here I am."

"Oh...you're still finding your way, that's cool," she says, "it really isn't" I retort.

There is an awkward silence, I don't intend to make the conversation difficult, but that's all she's getting from me.

"Well, I'm a student at a local community college, hopefully I get into university one day,"

I smile but don't say anything.

"So how does this program work?" I ask out of the blue.

"Oh, um... basically, we're buddies..." she seems a little taken back by my question, "because we both have had difficult pasts and could use friends and support systems."

"Not me," I add honestly, "I'm fine being a lone wolf."

"But do you want to be one for the rest of your life?"

This resonates with me for a moment or two.

"How many days a week do we have to meet?" I ask, "boy, didn't you listen?" she giggles, "once a week for three months, after then..."

"We never have to see each other again."

"Yes, but until then, you're stuck with me, so might as well suck it up."

I truly admire her assertiveness; I didn't think she had it in her.

We pack our things and make our ways to leave when I'm approached by one of the waiters.

"This is for you," he says handing me a small transparent box with a brownie inside, "from Luisa."

"Who's Luis-?" I look behind the counter and the kind old lady, Luisa is smiling warmly at me.

I'm completely speechless.

I smile at her, I'm touched, moved and I think it's starting to show.

I make my way out and Desirae follows.

"Well that was unexpected," she glares at me smirking.

I stand at a complete loss for words, staring down at my brownie in a box.

"Well despite what you might think, I had I really nice time. Next week is my treat, I have things I want to show you." She says smiling at me.

"You're a challenge Chris, but I'm gonna figure you out, you just wait."

She smiles at me as she backs away, then waves and walks down the street.

I admire her determination but I can't help but find her optimism hilariously tragic. What does she mean by 'a challenge' anyway?

All I know is that there aren't many people I like, but she is becoming one of them.