Restless

Chapter Twenty-Four

Restless

My heart races; but I'm too afraid to move, crippled by fear.

I need to do something. Fast.

The figure stands outside my window staring at me as I stand in front of the window of my well-lit apartment, staring at them.

I stop looking at the figure and pretend to be admiring the view of the city; if the figure knows I can see him/her, they'll be more of a threat.

But I can still see the figure, unmoving in the corner of my eye.

I let out a shaky breath.

The first thought that pops into my mind is that the figure may potentially be Jason, Desirae's baby's father.

But how can that be?

How does he know where I live? Desirae, Jeremy and Janine are the only people who know where I live.

And isn't he supposed to be in prison?

The figure's potential identity runs through my mind, each as unlikely as the next.

I've never regretted not investing in blinds like I do now.

I step away from the window naturally and pretend like I have somewhere to be.

I retreat to the back of my apartment and I shut off the light.

I crawl on the floor and lay on my bed, too afraid to move or breathe.

I lie on my bed, waiting for something to happen, but nothing.

My body is exhausted but my brain is too attentive and cautious to sleep.

It isn't until I hear the birds chirping that I let my guard down.

The coming of dawn has never made me feel safer.

Sleep finally drifts me away as the sun rises and the room gets brighter.

I wake up in cold sweat at 12:36pm. My sheets are damp and my head is drenched in sweat.

I don't know if it's due to the fact that for the first time years, I slept with a shirt on, or if it is because I kept having reoccurring nightmares of that dark figure throughout the entire night.

I get up, feeling as if my body had been through a wringer.

My bones feel heavy as I walk to the kitchen and grab a cool glass of water.

I slowly make my way towards the window.

Its busy; like a usual Saturday afternoon. Thank God.

I grab my phone which displays a notification which reads '12 missed calls from Desirae.'

Crap.

There's also a message from her.

'Chris, come over as soon as you can.'

From that text alone, I could tell something was the matter, Des always uses flashy emoticons and excessive exclamation points.

I take a quick shower and make my way out of my apartment, spending a huge amount of time scanning the room, remembering every detail of how I've left things.

As soon as I step outside, my heart starts racing and my knees shake. For no reason at all.

The worst kind of anxiety, is anxiety without a reason.