Blood & Bruises

Chapter Eighteen
Blood & Bruises

Desirae and I walk through the streets, as the sky darkens, the city lights shine brighter.

It's been an exhausting day, nonetheless probably the greatest day of my life. My fears of being involved in this 'thing' with Desirae seem so distant and so small.

It's like I've stepped into the light, away from the dark and now I'm able to see the bigger picture, though it still seems blurred.

"I love this time of year," breathes Desirae, her hair bouncing in the summer night breeze.

"December?" I ask,

"Christmas," she replies simply, smirking up at me.

"I don't really care for the holiday," I say offhandedly, "but I must admit, I do enjoy seeing the city covered in lights."

"That too. Also the fact that it's the last month of the year... new beginnings to come,"

I don't say anything to this but smile and nod. We walk away from the bright lights of the inner city, towards my apartment building.

"What does next year look like for you?" she asks rolling up the sleeves of her jacket. I guess the humidity had finally gotten to her.

"Same old, same old," I answer honestly. I don't see a need to drastically change my lifestyle just because it is a new year and I'm a year closer to death.

"What about you?" I ask before she can ask me any further questions about my future.

"Well I've applied for about 8 art schools in the state.... I just hope I get into one," she chuckles but I can detect the nervousness in her voice.

"Don't worry, you'll get in.... you're mad talented," I say trying to reassure her.

"Thank you Chris.... y'know, you've been a really good friend to me."

Did she just call me her friend?

I try figure out how I feel about it, but its damn near impossible. It's heart-warming to think that I occupy that space in her life but it's heart-stopping thinking that she might occupy a space in mine.

I look at her and smile, trying to figure out something to say. She locks eyes with me and gives me a breathy laugh.

I furrow my eyebrows and look at her questioningly. This girl is full of surprises.

"There are so many layers to you Chris... but I feel like I'm just scratching the surface,"

"I feel like you're seeing things in me that aren't there, Desirae," I chuckle.

"That isn't true... you're like gold... encased in a rock... or a diamond covered in dirt,"

"You sure do have a way with words," I say jokingly.

"Chris, I'm serious!" she giggles giving me a friendly nudge on the arm.

"You're like the type of person people write books about because there's so many layers to your character.... You're the type of person who inspires a painter because you're so stunning to look at."

I wouldn't call white hair and pale skin 'stunning' but that doesn't stop sparks shooting up my spine.

"How are you getting home?" I ask when we reach the foot of my apartment building.

"I'll just walk, should only about 15 minutes,"

I look around. The streets are dark and during most nights, dangerous. The idea of letting her walk alone around my neighbourhood in the dark leaves me feeling unsettled.