Epilouge

June 6th, 1964

My Dearest James,

I have been given a terminal diagnosis. I don't know how much longer I have to live.

I have lived a good life. I think so. I've raised Daniel as best I could. He is a handsome young man with a beautiful wife named Clarissa.

Sometimes I still wonder what could of been if you were still alive. There are a few days out of the year it feels like you are alive and well, and I can feel your presence.

I try not to think about the past, but I have never not thought about you. I know you would want me to stay strong and be happy no matter what, and I have taught myself to do so on my own.

I never married. I always kept the ring you gave me on a chain around my neck. I made some new friends, and I even kept in touch with Peggy Carter and her husband.

I have lived a good long life, but I guess it will soon be my time to go. James, my love for you has never fleeted once. You will always be my first friend, first love, first boy I called mine, first man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I will always love you. I will see you soon, in the place the fallen ones go.

James Buchanan Barnes, you are forever mine.

~Love,

Rebecca Jolene Wood

•«•»•

June 6th, 2014

Dearest Rebecca,

I found your grave this morning.

It is also the exact day that you died 50 years ago.

I never died from that fall. A lot of the time I wish I did. For 70 years, I was brainwashed into doing things I never wanted to do. You might have seen me on the news, killing innocent people as the Winter Soldier.

I remember a lot about you. You were a beautiful wild eyed, brown haired woman. You had a blonde haired nephew and a sister who lost her husband in the same war you lost me in.

But now I'm here. Sitting in front of you and your sister's grave.

You moved on, and now I need to as well. I hope you didn't focus too much on me that it brought you down.

They took my memories away, Rebecca. They held me hostage for 70 years, forcing me to do unbelievable things. But now I've escaped, and the first thing I did was look for you. And I found you, here.

I feel like I don't deserve anything or anyone. I wish you could be here to save me from this darkness. I fell into a hole and I'm struggling to get out of it.

I will never stop loving you, Rebecca Jolene Wood. Now that I have freed myself from the hands that held me down, I can remember more about you

This I promise you. I promise to always write down any memories of you that come back to me. Because the next time I see your face will be the next time I will ever see daylight again.

-With love,

James Buchannan Barnes