Chapter Twelve

Trystan woke up feeling like he had been run over by a truck. He tried to lift his arms, only to realize they were restrained, each to a side of the bed with handcuffs. That was when images of what happened slammed into his mind.
It was like a horrible movie and he was the main character. He always remembered what happened during his breakdowns. It was a curse he had to endure for the rest of his life.

And Kaia had seen everything. He felt his chest tighten. He was such a fool. He should have done all he could to prevent her from experiencing what happened but he hadn't and now she was probably scared of him. Who wouldn't? He had almost killed a man. His bodyguard.

They all knew about his breakdowns. That was why he had hired them.

He was grateful that they hadn't taken him to a hospital. He hated them with a passion. They reminded of his past.

He heard the door to the room creak open and his eyes darted to it.

It was Keith who walked in. Trystan's eyes widened. What on earth was he doing here? How did he find out that they were on this island?

"What the f*** are you doing here, Keith?" He asked. Keith just smirked.

"We heard what happened. We just had to make sure you were still alive."

"How did you know where we were?"

"Well, next time you want to kidnap someone make sure you dont scare her half to death so she has to call her aunt for comfort."

"Kaia? Is she alright?"

"Oh, she is, if you get past the shaking." Keith informed, sitting at the edge of the bed by Trystan's feet.

Trystan felt his heart twist at his words.

"Let me out, Keith. I have to see her."

"I don't think she wants to see you now. She's also with her aunt who wants to castrate you for kidnapping and bringing tears to her niece's eyes." Keith said, laughing.

"Just shut up, Keith, and remove the cuffs." Keith's eyes darkened and lost their arrogant spark.

"You know, I never thought you would be this stupid. Selfish but not stupid. You put the girl in danger, Trystan."

"Keith--" Trystan began. Keith only got serious when he was genuinely mad.

"No, shut up. Let me speak. We warned you. We f***ing warned you. Then you kidnapped the girl and put her in danger. Are you so in need of someone to love you? We all went through what we went through. We all suffered. We all spent those months in the hospital, in therapy. It wasn't easy but we made it." Keith took a deep breath.

"We didn't need anyone else then and we don't need anyone else now, Trystan. Leave the girl alone. You're the ruthless one. You're the one who closed himself off. Get over that need to own her. She's an innocent, don't ruin her." Keith stood and made his way to the door.

"I'm falling for her." Trystan said simply. Keith froze.

"You've got to be kidding me."
****
Candace wrapped her arms around her niece again. Kaia had stopped shaking but Candace didn't even want to let go of her for a second.

She was going to kill that Trystan Dwyer. She didn't care of he ruined her husband's dream. She was going to kill him.

He caused the tears in Kaia's eyes.

Candace didn't know what happened but she didn't care. Kaia was crying and she had promised to protect her niece. That was her job.

Candace looked up to see Fallon's eyes on her. She glared at him for being the friend of that man.

"You better tell your friend to stay away from my niece."

"Aunt!" Kaia protested, pulling out her aunt's arms.

Keith walked in at that moment. He gave the ladies a smile and walked straight to Fallon. He whispered in Fallon's ear and Fallon's eyes widened. Fallon stood.

"Excuse us, please." Fallon and Keith walked out.

Candace turned to her niece.

"Kaia, that man made you cry. I don't know what he did but the fact that he made you cry angers me. And he kidnapped you. How can you defend him?"

"I love him." Kaia answered, quietly. Candace's eyes widened. She couldn't believe that her niece had just said that.

"What are you thinking, Kaia? This man is a dangerous man. He's destroyed people's lives. He's hurt people. How can you love a man like that?"

"Aunt--"

"No, Kaia. I've watched you grow up. I promised your dad that I would always protect you and I will not allow you to get involved with a man who is as ruthless as Trystan Dwyer."

Candace watched her niece stand, she saw the anger in Kaia's eyes and flinched. Kaia didn't usually get angry but when she did, she became a totally different person.

"This is my life, Aunt, and I chose to live it how I want! You of all people should understand that! Why are you giving me a hard time when you are the one who fell in love with a man grandfather didn't accept and you even married him despite his objections?! I can't believe how hypocritical you're being. I thought I could count on you but I guess I can't."

Kaia walked out on her, leaving Candace with tears in her eyes. She never wanted Kaia to think that she couldn't count on her.

Candace took a deep breath.

She didn't like Trystan Dwyer but she loved Kaia and if Kaia was in love with him, she'd learn to tolerate him but if he hurt her, he was going to die. That was a promise.

***

Here it is, the aftermath of Trystan's crazy breakdowns. I know this isn't soon but I didn't have enough time and with school starting today, I'm not sure I'll update sooner than I usually do but I'll try to increase the number of chapters I publish in a week. Thanks guys.