Chapter Twenty

Her room seemed different now. She could not believe that she had only been away for  a couple of days. They had seemed like forever. The last time she had been in this room was the morning of the day she had been kidnapped. Her room had been left untouched. Ginelle had given her such a tight hug that she had had trouble breathing. Right now, all she wanted was to be left alone. She didn't want to talk to anyone and she didn't want to see anyone. 

She climbed into her bed, shaking off her shoes as she went. Tears filled her eyes as she pulled her covers up. Her mind went back. She could hear his voice loud and clear and the image of him sitting at his desk, looking up at her made her shiver. She had been so happy that everything was over. She had expected him to hold her tight and make her feel safe but the coldness in his eyes when he had asked her to follow him to his study had bothered her.  He had sat down immediately, his arms crossed as he watched her.

"Kaia, I apologize for not preventing you from going through this." He had stated without emotion. She had walked closer to the desk, hoping he would see that she was distraught and that she just wanted to be closer to him.

"You didn't plan for this to happen. I know that. I don't blame you for it."

"You should. I should have planned better. I knew the kind of person he was but I let myself be distracted." The way he looked at her made her flinch. "I let myself be distracted by you Kaia."

He stood then, sighing.

"I let myself be distracted by your charm, your beauty, and your innocence and it almost destroyed the both of us. I am a man that should fall in love. I am not a man that should be enamored with a woman. I have too much behind me to let someone suffer through. I was so sure that I was prepared. I was so sure that keeping you with me and trying to make you a part of my life was a good idea but everyone was right. You don't deserve this and I don't deserve you." He nodded at her, "After we leave this island, I will stay away from you. You will not see me or hear from me and I would appreciate it if you did the same. We live in two different world and those worlds don't mix well. I have a lot more I have to do and having you in my life will make things harder. So this is goodbye."

"What are you saying, Trystan? Are you telling me that you want me to go back home and forget what happened between us. You want me to forget how you kidnapped me because I wanted nothing to do with you. How you made me fall in love with you? You want me to forget how my heart feels."

"Yes, Kaia. And don't worry, I will compensate you and your aunt for all this trouble." That was when Kaia saw red. 

"You bastard! How dare you treat me like someone you can pay off? I don't want anything from you. I can't believe you. Is that what you think of me? Is that what you've always thought of me. I love you, Trystan. And I thought you loved me or even had some sort of feelings for me. No man would do what you did if they didn't." Her heart softened as she realized that maybe he was trying to protect her. "I don't care about what happened. I want to be with you. I don't care if you have some more people in your life like that. I will deal with it."

He stood sharply and walked around his desk. He grabbed her arms, staring at her with a hard expression and steel in his eyes.

"Maybe, you don't understand. I don't want you anymore. Whatever I felt is gone. You were just a passing interest and I wanted to prove that I always got what I wanted. Now, I'm done. You'll be taken home as soon as possible and I will send you your compensation. Now leave." He let go of her arms and walked back around to sit as his desk. She stood, frozen, tears falling. She felt cold, wondering how she had been so stupid.

She felt the same way as she held the blanket closer. Her world felt cold. She had known she loved him but this made her realize how deeply she had felt. Her heart was broken and all her insecurities came back with a force. She didn't know what to do now but she knew she was gonna cry. She knew she had to let out all the pain. She needed to get it out and forget because she wouldn't allow herself to live and feel like this. If Trystan was done with her, then she was done with him. She would go back to her life like he didn't exist and forget that he had been in her heart. 

"Kaia, would you like something to eat?" Her cousin asked from the other side of her door.

"No, Ginelle, I'm not hungry. I'm okay." And she mean it, she would be okay. She had let sadness cloud her life too long. Besides, he was just a man. Why was she sad over him? There were men better than he would ever be and even if there weren't, she was fine just being by herself. 

Life didn't end because the man she loved didn't feel the same way. She had her whole life in front of her and she had the choice to change what she didn't like. 

"Goodbye, Trystan," she whispered as more tears fell. "Goodbye."

Hi, I wrote another chapter. Wanted to upload it yesterday but I wanted to change some things and it was my anniversary so I stayed far away from my computer. Anyway, we're at about the end of it this book. Maybe I should just end it here and let the story die. However, I did say it was a romantic book and even though I love a sad ending, I will let this end on a more romantic note. Maybe, maybe not. Who knows. I hope you like this chapter though. Thank you.