ii. follow me

BROOKLYN'S POV

Hours later and I was awoken to the captain's low voice coming through the speakers above me. I yawned and pulled out my headphones that had been playing soft music in my ears. I rubbed my eyes tiredly and sat up straight. Then, I glanced to her right at the man who was seated there, scrunching my nose up in sheer disgust when I saw drool dripping down his chin. I moved as far to my left as physically possible and listened to the announcement being made.

"Hello, ladies and gentlemen. I'm happy to inform you that we've made it to the City of Love!" the voice boomed through the speakers as enthusiastically as such a monotone voice could come across as. "We will begin our descent in a few moments, so please turn off any electronic devices and fasten your seatbelts. Enjoy your time in Paris and thank you for flying with us."

I smiled widely, my eyes darting towards the window. I looked out at the pale blue sky and fluffy clouds in front of me.

"This is it," I whispered to myself with a small, breathy chuckle. "It's actually happening."

Quickly fastening my seatbelt and turning off my phone, I sat back and prepared myself for the landing. I closed my eyes, not too fond of the feeling it gave my stomach when the plane took off or landed.

By the time I opened my eyes, the plane was safely on the ground and people were already beginning to rise and stretch out their stiff limbs, grabbing their carry on bags from above or beneath them. I did the same, swinging my bag over my shoulder and walking into the middle isle of the plane. I made my way down until I came to the door, walking out of the terminal and into the airport.

My eyes lit up and I grinned hugely as I looked around at all of the shops and such, every word I came across written in French. I silently thanked God that I'd chosen French in high school rather than Italian. Though I couldn't really understand most of what I saw, I knew enough of the language to get me by with basic needs and necessities.

I hurriedly made my way to baggage claim, not wanting to waste a single moment while I was in the city I had dreamt of visiting my entire life. Once I saw a belt of many suitcases slowly moving around, my plane number on a sign above it, I walked over.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

After two hours or so, I was still sitting on a small, leather chair by the conveyor belt without my suitcase. With a sigh, I let myself come to terms with the fact that my bag was not coming and got up, walking out of the airport with my chin still held high.

As I exited the airport, thoughts rushed through my mind.

Where was I going to live?

How was I going to eat after I spent the small amount of money that I had brought along?

I opened my bag to look through the content in it. I opened my wallet and counted the bills. 5...10...5...5 singles. 20 dollars and and a few stray coins is all I find, and that wasn't going get me anything but one decent sized meal.

I began to walk along the streets, deciding I would have to just begin the day with some sightseeing and figure out the living situation a bit later when the sunset began.

Not exactly knowing my whereabouts, I stopped a man on the street and put my four years of French to good use, stuttering out, "Est-ce vous s-savez comment se rendre à la Tour Eiffel à p-partir d'ici?"

The man spun to face me and gave me a warm smile, his deep brown eyes meeting my own hazel grayish-blue ones. "A tourist, eh?" he asked, making me blush slightly in embarrassment. "You know, not all of us speak just French."

"It was worth a shot," I replied with a small chuckle. "Could you still help me out? I'm completely lost."

The man nodded and didn't hesitate to help me out, and I was sure to thank him before striding off in the direction he had told me to go.

As I made my way down Av. de Suffren, towards the landmark I could not wait to lay eyes on, I couldn't help but sense someone's eyes following me. I shrugged off the feeling, however, and continued walking as if nothing was bothering me in the slightest.

Once I arrived on Avenue G. Eiffel, I looked up, taking in the beauty of the tower in front of me. I got as close as I possibly could, plopping myself down on the freshly cut green grass and leaning back on my palms resting behind me.

I looked up again at the Eiffel Tower, my eyes almost shining at the sight. The bright blue sky forming the background of the tower made it look like just a photograph, and the sun shining down on it gave it a glisten I knew could have never been captured on camera. In that moment, my mind wasn't focusing on my lack of housing, money, and all the other obstacles I was sure to face. The only thing on my mind was how ecstatic I was to finally be where I had dreamt of being since I was just a young girl.

For once in my life, I felt carefree; like I could do whatever I wanted.

As I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, it was cut short by a strong hand on my shoulder.

"Follow me," a husky voice ordered into my ear demandingly. "Now."

--------------

For purposes of this story, customs does not exist okay? Okay.

I hope you guys are enjoying so far!! -Adrianna