xvii. safe

BROOKLYN'S POV

The following two days had been nothing short of uneventful. Harry and I had barely left the hotel except for a few food outings or when one of us started to feel claustrophobic and needed to go and take a walk. Of course, I could have easily done that on my own, but Harry insisted he join me each time that I wanted to head out.

Finally, it was Saturday, and after those two boring days, Harry's phone rang to give him some news that would get at least his ass out of this hotel for a while.

"Hello?" Harry mumbled into the phone, propping his pillow up against the headboard of his bed and leaning back against it.

Quite obviously, I could not hear the voice on the other end of the line from where I was on my own bed, but Harry's facial expressions led me to believe that it was good news. What news, I had no clue, but I hoped it would be beneficial to the both of us.

After spluttering out the words 'thank you so much', Harry hung up and turned to face me. I raised an eyebrow, waiting for him to fill me in on the half of the conversation that I had missed.

"I got the job at the supermarket," he said and smirked. "Told you I'd be a better employee than you."

My lips formed a pout as I crossed my arms over my chest like a child. "No fair."

Harry laughed and rolled his eyes, sticking his tongue out at me in the same childish way.

Honestly, I was hoping that in a few minutes, I would receive a call from one of the establishments that I too had gotten a job. However, I felt that wouldn't happen. Luckily, Harry was a bastard and left out a small bit of information when telling me that he had gotten the position, something I didn't cease to inform him of.

As he exited the shower that night with one towel around his waist, rubbing his hair with another one, a sight I had still not gotten used to seeing, he spoke a few words that had me grinning within seconds, "I forgot to mention that you got the cashier job at the supermarket as well. Whoops."

I quirked my eyebrow up at the look of amusement on his face, his lips curving up to one side in a smirk, indenting just that cheek with a dimple deep enough to hold a penny. "You bastard."

Unaffected by my comment, - which he was right not to be, seeing as I was fooling around - Harry nodded towards my phone as a signal for me to look away from him. I did so and pretended to scroll aimlessly through my phone, waiting for some sort of signal that I could look back up.

"We start Monday," - I took his words as that signal and was grateful when I saw him clad in boxers - "eight in the morning, sharp."

I groaned in response to the second half of his statement. I was certainly not a morning person, but it seemed I would have to now become one. I supposed I could retain my grumpy early-morning attitude while at work, but I don't believe consumers would be too happy if their cashier was rushing them to 'get their damn coupons out' and telling them they could bag their own groceries because their arms weren't broken.

"We work Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from eight to twelve and then again from seven to nine," Harry continued when I didn't respond to his previous information. "And we'll be paid €6.05 per hour. A bit above the minimum wage around here."

I nodded slowly; absorbing all of the information he was telling me. We were working around five hours a day, so we would be making somewhere near €30 a day. It would do for now, but would it be enough to keep this hotel room for much longer, get some decent clothing, and have food? I wasn't too sure about that.