Imagine #9

#9 - Lex catches you skipping out on work.

~

Another day, another boring shift at LexCorp. One would think working at a company like that would be fun and exciting, and to some degree, it was. However, you worked in the sales department. Nothing to do with science or anything cool like that, you couldn't afford the college needed for a job in that area. Some days were interesting, but most days had a routine. The status quo was tricky to break from. You decided to call in sick, already having wasted your personal days for the year. Your motivation was severely depleted, and you just wanted to "recharge". The phone rang for a bit before a familiar voice answered.

"Hello, thank you for calling LexCorp. I'm Mercy Graves, how may I help you?" the almost robotic voice came from your phone. You faked a cough for a bit before responding.

"Uhm, hi Mercy, it's Y/N, I need to call in sick for the day," you decided to add some raspiness to your voice to up the believability factor.

"Alright, I'll transfer you to Lex," she stated. Why was she transferring you to Lex? Normally you'd call in sick to Mercy. Your heart started to pound slightly faster.

"Wait, why? I usually just - " you were cut off by Mercy before you could finish your sentence.

"It's a fairly new procedure, Lex just wants to know these things firsthand. May I transfer you now?" she sounded a bit impatient. The "explanation" didn't really help, but you didn't bother to press further.

"Y-yeah, of course," you mentally cursed yourself for stuttering. You were on hold for almost 5 minutes, anxiously waiting for Lex to pick up, the sound of generic, saxophone - filled "on hold" music ringing in your right ear. The music then suddenly cut, causing you to jump.

"Hello hello, this is Lex!" Lex's cheery voice never failed to bring a smile to your face.

"Hi, this is Y/N. I have to call in sick today, I'm so sorry," you tried not to sound nervous as you told your boss a bold faced lie.

"Not a problem! Say, you take a lot of days off. Is everything alright at home? Are you okay?" his voice had a slight tinge of worry to it.

"No no, everything's fine," you reassured him. Why was he so worried about you? It was probably a tactic to make you feel guilty and not take any more sick days.

"Alrighty! I'll see you tomorrow, then?" it sounded more like a statement rather than a question.

"Of course!" you said.

"Alright then, goodbye!"

You finally hung up the phone with a relaxed sigh escaping your lips. You went back to bed for a bit to catch up on some sleep, then woke up about 2 hours later. You had something to eat and did other normal "morning routine" things before you sat at your computer for a bit. Once noontime rolled around, you decided to go out for lunch. You went to a café, nothing too fancy or special. You got your food, sat down, opened your laptop, and started watching YouTube. About 15 minutes passed, and you were suddenly interrupted by someone slamming your laptop shut. You jumped and looked up, your heart racing at an almost alarming rate. You felt your body go cold when you saw the all too familiar auburn haired man looking down at you.

"I thought you were sick?" Lex looked rather annoyed at you. Your eyes grew wide with anxiety.

"I - uh, um, well, I just -" before you could stutter out an excuse, Lex cut you off.

"Skipping out on work again. Again! What did I tell you the last time?" he looked intensely at you. The other people in the café, who were just employees, slowed down what they were doing to watch what was going on. You just wanted to disappear right then and there.

"That - that you were gonna f-fire me," you managed to get out, tears starting to brim your eyes. You hated crying in public, but when your boss was there, it just made it worse. You looked down, hoping that you could hide your tears before anyone saw. You had skipped work about 2 months ago. Lex caught you as you were trying to sneak pass the LexCorp building to go to your friend's apartment. You started to regret not taking a taxi. Lex pulled up a chair next to you and put his hand on your chin, lifting your head up. His piercing blue eyes tinged with regret.

"Well, you are the most diligent employee in the sales department," he started. "Maybe I can give you one more shot."

"Really?" your eyes got wide again, but this time, it wasn't because of anxiety.

"Of course. How could I get rid of someone as cute as you?"

Wait. Rewind. Did Lex really just say that? You looked at him for a couple seconds as you felt your face heat up.

"Huh?" was all you could manage to get out.

"Sorry to be so forward, it's just that I've had my eye on you for a while, and I guess I couldn't keep it in any longer," his hand scratched the back of his neck, and he gave you a look that just said "please don't think I'm weird." You didn't quite know how to respond, so you ended up just looking at him in shock.

"I'll take that as a...no?" Lex looked disappointed. Before he could get up, you stopped him. You've liked your boss since day one. Those vibrant blue eyes, his soft, auburn waves, his sharp cheekbones and jawline, his little mannerisms, just everything about him was adorable. Now was your chance to let him know.

"No, I - I like you too, Lex," you looked at him and smiled. "I didn't think you would feel the same way, but I guess the oppurtunity to tell you finally presented itself." Lex's eyes lit up with pure joy. Before you could do anything else, you were suddenly pressed up against Lex, him having taken the chance to kiss you. He pulled away after a bit, much to your displeasure.

"I - I'm sorry, that was too soon, right? I just took you aba-" he was then cut off by you pulling him back in, finding a sudden bit of confidence you never knew you had. You then pulled back and smiled.

"That's alright."

A/N Sorry this one took so long! I really enjoyed writing this one, despite the fact that it's filled with cliches. cx Anyways, I start school next week, but updates should be alright. See you guys next week!