Chapter 14

A few days after the battle with LightClan, DuskClan did nothing, no hunting, until sunset, and no patrolling, just relaxing in their clan. It wasn't a punishment by Shadowstar, but the whole clan felt like they should be punished for what they did. Shadowstar didn't punish Raggeddrop for this, since it was the later that thought of attacking LightClan, and took this as a mistake on Raggeddrop's part.

However, only one apprentice was punished and that was Darkpaw. He had to check the elders for ticks for the next moon, and was the last one to eat prey after everyone else. It sucked for him, but Raggeddrop was the one who thought of the punishment not Shadowstar, nor Goldjaw.

"Shadowstar!" Moonshine was running towards her mate with her graze being upset and sad. Shadowstar was in his den looking down at his clanmates being sad, but when he saw his mate coming in upset, he knew something was wrong.

"Yes, Moonshine." Shadowstar replied.

"I know Darkpaw is punished for what he did, but he can't suffer like this!" Moonshine complained. Shadowstar looked at his mate with sadness in her eyes. Shadowstar didn't know how to reply to his mate's response. "I know he's punished, but I'm scared something bad will happen to him without food. He hasn't eaten since yesterday."

Shadowstar sighed. "I'm sorry Moonshine, but Raggeddrop told me he was the one who thought of the punishment not me." He explained. His mate looked down her ears dropping showing signs of sadness. "But," Shadowstar started again. "I guess Goldjaw and I could talk to him to see if he can go easy on Darkpaw." He said giving a smile.

Moonshine smiled and touched noses with her mate. "Thank you." She said.

Shadowstar smiled. "However, it will only be me and Goldjaw talking him, please don't step in, especially Yellowflower, I'll let you two know what happens." He explained. Moonshine nodded, and left her mates den with a smile.

Shadowstar left the den to see Raggeddrop standing through the den, as Darkpaw drag the moss out of the den to put in the new one. He was then cut off when Goldjaw came by. "Shadowstar, I finally found a hunting patrol that would do some hunting after being troubled for the past few days." Goldjaw explained.

"That's good," Though he was happy his clan finally wanted to do a hunting patrol that wasn't his main concern right now. "But I need your help with something." Shadowstar said.

"Sure. What is it?" Goldjaw asked. Shadowstar explained what Moonshine told him, and to talk to Raggeddrop to loosen the punishment on Darkpaw. Goldjaw seemed uneasy at first, but he didn't want to disobey his leader, after all what happened, and decided to go and talk to Raggeddrop.

"Raggeddrop." Goldjaw said going to the brown and black warrior. Raggeddrop looked up to the deputy. "Shadowstar wants to speak too you." Raggeddrop nodded, and looked at Darkpaw who was putting in the new moss for the elders. Darkpaw looked at him back, but he along with his mentor said nothing to each other, and Raggeddrop just walked to Shadowstar's den.

"So Shadowstar. What did you want to speak with me about?" Raggeddrop asked as he sat facing his leader.

"Its about your mentorship with Darkpaw." Shadowstar said. "Some clanmates and I think, your going too far with it, and," Shadowstar stopped to sigh, "But, we want you to go easy on Darkpaw."

Raggeddrop gave a small smile. "But if I did that, Darkpaw would never learn." Raggeddrop replied. Shadowstar glared at him, but he had to negotiate with his fellow warrior in hopes of making Moonshine happy.

"Darkpaw is learning a lot I mean a moon ago he saved FreezeClan from getting mauled by foxes." Goldjaw pointed out.

"Right, and Darkpaw has been training for a while now, and he doesn't need to be punished for too long. Even having his prey last. Darkpaw has done a few days of taking care of the elders, so I think his punishment is over." Shadowstar explained.

Raggeddrop stayed silent taking all this in. He didn't want to go back on his word, and he couldn't attack his own leader.

"Raggeddrop." Darkpaw said coming in. The three cats looked at the young apprentice, who looked worried. "Something is going on in the queens den with Spottedpool." He said.

Goldjaw's eyes widen and looked at the leader and Raggeddrop. "T-This can't be." He said. "Its time already!?" He was pacing back and forth till he ran out of the den going towards Yellowflower and Appleleaf. "Is it true?!" He asked to Yellowflower and Appleleaf. The two medicine cats were holding Borage leaves and Poppy seeds.

"Yes. Its true, Spottedpool is having her next litter of kits." Appleleaf said with a smile. She then ran to her mentor and helped Spottedpool as she knitted. Goldjaw smiled and ran towards his mate.

Shadowstar, Raggeddrop, and Darkpaw stood outside the den listening to the pain Spottedpool was in, and the medicine cats helping her. Goldjaw was also heard helping his mate out. Moonshine came back with the hunting patrol, and before running to her mate she put the vole in the pile and ran to him.

"What's going on with Spottedpool?" Sparrowpaw asked with a blackbird in his mouth.

Moonshine smiled at the kit, and turned to face him. "Spottedpool is having her kits." She said smiling. Sparrowpaw and Foxclaw looked at each other with a smile and joined in with the crowd.

After a while, Yellowflower and Goldjaw came out of the den. "It was three kits. Two toms and a She-kit." Goldjaw said.

"Congrats Goldjaw." Yellowflower said with a small. The rest of the clan congratulated him as well. Then Appleleaf came in holding a small brown tom with white markings.

"This one is not breathing.." Appleleaf said cutting off everyone's celebration. Appleleaf put the kit down, and a small crowd came towards it. Darkpaw went through the crowd and went to the kit.

"Hey. C-Come on little kit." Darkpaw whispered. He used his tail to warm it up, and gave it a few licks. Raggeddrop glared at his apprentice actions.

"Darkpaw the kit is-" Yellowflower shushed him with her tail then cut him off.

"Wait!" She yelled. "He might be able to save it." She said. Darkpaw gave the kit some warmth with his tail and a few more licks. After a moment with no hope the kit squealed.

"It's alive!" Darkpaw cheered. The clan yowled with excitement seeing Darkpaw saving the kit. Yellowflower quickly took the kit to her den for some treatment in order to stay alive.

"Way to go Darkpaw!" Sparrowpaw cheered. Darkpaw smiled and blush with the praise he was getting.

Raggeddrop was shocked, as Darkpaw gave a smile that he did something. "Still think he should be punished?" Shadowstar asked.

Raggeddrop was still shocked. "N-No." He said. Shadowstar smiled and went over to the apprentice. Raggeddrop looked down and gave an evil smile. "I think I have something in mind, for my apprentice." He whispered.