Nightmares are Real

I haven't seen them since last night. They finally are leaving me alone. Their words burned me like fire. I can't help but think they are telling the truth. Actually, I know they are telling the truth. I hurt them. I'm the reason they died. 

"Percy? You with me? Or do I have to leave a message?" Peter asks. 

I snap out of, "Sorry, Pete. I got caught up in my thoughts." 

"It's cool. So you sure you want to get ice cream? We can go anywhere you want." He replies as we continue the short walk to the store.

"No, I've been meaning to try this place out for a while. It has really good reviews and stuff." 

Peter nods, "I'm always down for ice cream." 

"So how's school?" I honestly can't think of anything else to ask him. 

"It's going." He laughs. "I'm so glad it's senior year. I would be going insane if it wasn't." 

"I feel you. I'm just glad I had enough credits to graduate early. I was starting to fail the classes I was taking." 

"You're lucky. I would be so happy to graduate early." 

We walked, wheeled for me, into the store where a short line has already formed. 

"What about Mary Jane though? She probably wouldn't be happy if you graduated early." I question him while we wait. 

"She would skin me alive if I left her. She's probably the only reason why I'm not already in college." 

I nod, not knowing what to say. She is probably the only reason I had enough credits. 

Thankfully, my train of thought was interrupted. 

"What can I get you boys?" The serving lady asks. She's about our age. Her long blond hair pulled back into a pony tail. 

"Can I have the Blue Cotton Candy in a bowl?" I point to the only blue ice cream they have. 

"And for you?" She asks Peter. You could tell she thought he was cute. When she addressed him, she stood up taller and seemed more interested. 

"Can I have a waffle cone with Strawberry ice cream?" He asks, completely oblivious to her stares.

"Of course." She quickly gets us our food and rings us up. 

I'm about to pull out the money Tony gave me but Peter beat me to it. 

"I got this." He says as he hands her the cash. 

I take my ice cream and roll my eyes, "You never have anything under control."

He leads us over to an empty table, "True, but I have this under control." 

"Maybe I'm just making you think that." I wheel myself to the end of the table.

"Uh huh. Let's just go with that." He smiles and sits next to me. 

I ignore him as I take a bite of my ice cream. Peter mimics me and starts to eat his. 

"Wow this is good." We say at the same time. 

We both break out laughing. It feels good to be laughing. I haven't had a fun day in a while.

We continue to make small talk as we eat. I find out he's been thinking of new ideas for his dates with MJ. Apparently, their two year anniversary is coming up. 

The entire time we were talking, I can't help but feel like someone was staring at me. I didn't want to look and possibly trigger a fight today. I wasn't ready for a monster fight. The feeling wouldn't go away, and only got stronger over time.