05. | [her father]

My heart was nervously beating in my chest and I was watching Baekhyun and my father who were staring at each other in silence for at least a whole minute now. The tension in the room was high, my cousin was looking at my fake boyfriend with shock written all over her face and I was ready to flip the table and scream that it was all just a lie. A drop of sweat slid down my temple and I opened my mouth to tell the truth when dad suddenly broke the nerve-wracking silence, grinned and happily shook Baekhyun's hand.

'' You seem like a very nice young man! I like you! ''

My cousin and I simultaneously turned our heads and looked at the old man with surprise. Even Baekhyun seemed stunned and he had no idea how harsh my father really was. He grew up on a farm, he was used to working from dawn until nightfall and getting close to nothing in return and he didn't like people who often complained. Baekhyun wasn't even close to the tall, muscular and serious man he always thought I was going to end up with and yet here they were, looking at each other from different sides of the table in the small coffee shop and laughing.

'' I am going to steal Seol for a moment, '' Chun-ja suddenly announced and grabbed my wrist. I couldn't even protest before she pulled me up on my feet and dragged me to the girls bathroom. Her brown hair was as short as ever and she had a dark tan on her face from working under the strong sun in the fields every day. She always managed to look older and more serious than me and even if she was only seventeen, I almost bowed my head at her when she looked at me with wide eyes and strictly whisper-yelled: '' Tell me what is going on right now! ''

I blinked and nervously asked: '' What are you talking about? ''

'' You said you have a good job, a boyfriend and a lot of friends and you might have fooled uncle, but I know who the boy he is currently talking to is and I know there is no way you are really dating him, '' she hissed and glared at me with annoyance.

I cringed and innocently smiled. '' So you really did get a real TV in the village! That is great! ''

'' Seol! ''

I sighed and lowered my head in defeat. '' Okay, I admit I haven't been completely honest with you. ''

I told her a short story about how in reality I worked as a cleaning lady in an idol dorm, lived in a crappy apartment and barely survived through the month with my poor paycheck. She was completely shaken, while I grinned at her and asked her if she understood now why I couldn't tell the truth to my father before I said that we should get back and make sure that Baekhyun wouldn't do it either.

The two of them were looking at each other with strange smiles on their faces when we returned to the table and I didn't know what was going on at first, then I saw they were laughing at child pictures of me. Father brought an embarrassing amount of them, they were all really bad and I almost ruined everything when Baekhyun stole one of them and I tried to punch him. Then I saw the way him and Chun-ja were looking at us, quickly forced a smile on my face and innocently hissed through my teeth: '' Of course you can take that picture of me in a scarecrow Halloween costume, Baekhyun. ''

His dark eyes gleamed when he patted my cheek with his hand and happily replied: '' I knew you wouldn't mind, Seol. ''

I was a bit surprised when we parted ways and he pulled me in a hug. Then I heard him whisper in to my ear how I was really bad at pretending to be someone's fake girlfriend and that I should prepare for tomorrow because that was when I will have to do anything he'll say considering he helped me today. I was still laughing with worry when I was standing next to my father and my cousin and waving at him while he was walking away. Dad who had no clue about what just happened, only smiled widely and said: '' What a nice young man. Too bad he couldn't join us sightseeing. ''