15. | [the countryside]

The sun was shining high up on the clear blue sky, the birds were singing and there was the smell of cow poop in the air. My eyes were wide with amazement when I looked around the small buildings, surrounded by long green fields and gravel roads. The only restaurant in the village still had just three small tables with mismatching chairs, the house next to it had the same sign for homemade jam for sale and even the there were even the same two old ladies who I remembered were always yelling at each other from their windows. Everything in the village was just like the day I left and it almost felt like I traveled back in time.

My cousin Chun-ja was crouched over in the rice field next to our farm and working under the strong sun. There was a conical hat on her head and her bare feet were covered with mud up to her knees. She looked around and waved with surprise when she heard me calling her before she quickly ran closer.

'' Seol? You are already here? I called you just yesterday. ''

I smiled with sadness and hugged her. '' I was able to get two free weeks at work and I came with the first train, but I was lucky I met a farmer who lives nearby when I was walking from town to here. Rolling my suitcase down these gravel roads was a real pain in the ass and he gave me a lift in the back of his wooden wagon full of hay. ''

'' Just like the good old days, hitching rides on tractors and wagons of fruit and vegetables when we were on our way to school. '' Chun-ja grinned and ran through her short dark hair with her hand. She looked tired and a lot older than she really was. '' Uncle is resting in his room. He is going to be mad that I called you, but I didn't know what else to do. ''

I sighed and shook my head. '' Don't worry, I'll deal with the old man. He can't just endlessly worry about me and then not tell me when he is sick. ''

Chun-ja grabbed my suitcase and dragged me behind her when we walked inside the farm. Everything was still the same as I remembered, even my old bedroom was left untouched. My heart ached at the sight of all the photos on the walls of old childhood memories, the rain boots I used to wear when I helped father and Chun-ja in the rice field and the basket I always used for picking fruit. Then my phone buzzed and I was surprised to see I had a few unread texts from Baekhyun.

Are you hiding somewhere in the dorms?

Where are you?

Did I do something? Are you ignoring me on purpose?

I rolled my eyes and sighed before I began to type him back. I was just about to send him my response when my phone suddenly died. I knew they didn't have very much good electricity here at the farm, but I didn't think much of it and just shrugged it of. He was going to have to wait for my response until I'll get back to civilization where I'll be able to properly charge my phone and even get some internet connection that was a completely foreign thing around here.

I instantly forgot about him, my phone and everything else waiting for me back in Seoul when I walked in to my father's room and saw him. He was laying on his bed, weak, vulnerable and unable to sit up on his own. His eyes widened with surprise when he saw me and he quietly asked: '' Seol? Is that you? ''

I bit my lower lip to hold back my tears and quickly nodded. '' I heard you were sick, Appa. ''

He was too weak to even move and his hands were shaking when he was struggling to sit up, but he still smiled. '' It's nothing, dear. Don't worry about me. I am a little tired today, but I'll try to sleep well tonight so I'll get a lot of energy and we will be able to go on a walk around the village tomorrow. ''

'' It's okay, Appa. Sleep, '' I quietly whispered and put my hand over his. When his eyes closed again I quickly covered my mouth and silently sobbed