035:

It seemed like a long time when he helped me up. We climbed some more rocks, all the way down to the river on the other side where I got a refresher course in skipping rocks. Not that I wasn't completely competent in this pastime what with so many older siblings, and a house on a lake in Alaska we went to every summer, where my mom held an actual skipping rock contest--- but what the heck. I had to listen with rapt attention to Rafe's instructions, because that's what one did when they were falling in love.

            We biked from there up the road to the loop. There was another trail over the side, by the loop, overlooking a glacier. Here we saw mountain goats and rock chucks, although technically rock chucks are not chucks at all but yellow bellied marmots. We took the day packs and headed up the trail till it split, then we went quite a ways up the higher side, toward the promised chalet, I have only been to once, and I knew was about fourteen miles and too far for us to hit today. Clouds were rolling in, and the sunlight was blocked above, but we found some nice rocks to sit on overlooking the back side of the valley, and some amazing peaks in the distance, looking north.

            Here we perched to eat lunch and talk about other hikes, and other bike rides, crashes and amazing scenery. He'd seen a lot more than I had, although I had my fair share of summer vacation trips to account for. I wasn't completely untraveled.

            "Aubrey."

            "Yeah?"

            "Just an observation with you. But--- it's easy here."

            "Easy?"

            "To share things. I sound like I must talk all the time, but you have to know. I don't."

            I took that in with a smile. I thought it was easy talking to him as well. We shared well, and we listened well. The wind was blowing the clouds across the sky at a wisping fast rate, but we ate our sandwiches and shared some nuts and an apple. I contemplated that we got along so well, but kept a little bit of myself reserved for the 'what if' thought. What if--- we were on our best behavior? What if we were to let down our guard? Would we still be as good at listening as we are today? Do people know that in advance? Or do all couples who are getting to know each other try on their best behavior?

            I broached that subject lightly.

            He rocked back on his elbows and smiled thoughtfully. Then those deep blue eyes pierced mine. "Yeah. I think all newly attracted couples--- that's what we are right? Newly attracted to each other? Well--- I think that people like us do put on a show at least some, to impress the other person, and draw them in. And there's nothing to fight about yet."

            I swallowed, thinking for the hundredth time already that his eyes were the deepest, loveliest eyes I'd ever seen. But I addressed the thought we were discussing. "Did you know that actually, our brains release a chemical when we meet new people that are compatible with our--- physiology shall we say?---."

            "People we are attracted to." Rafe supplied.

            "A chemical that solidifies attraction, that encourages those feelings of attraction, even enhances feelings of need--- sort of like a craving?"

            He nodded. "I heard that." He agreed. "So, you're saying I could become addicted to you?"

            He was joking, and so was I—basically--- but I said it anyway. "Yeah, that's what happens. The dopamine is released in quantities telling us we should anticipate sex. The serotonin gives us great feelings of satisfaction and well-being. It's all designed to keep the attraction going."