092: Aubrey

092: Aubrey

Mexico's Copper Canyon was huge, beautiful and very much like the Grand Canyon, but different. We—those who planned to go on the excursion--- were up early, yoga'd, run finished, smoothies drank, and snacks packed for the day. Where the first day out had been just a few of us, now almost everybody was excited. We decided to take several trips as so many people wanted to go.

Rafe and I were of course, in the earliest van. Rafe obviously set the precedent for the rest of the band members of all four bands. Those who were serious about getting out and seeing things this trip were up and ready. Each van could only take seven extra people, and there were three vans that could take people. Not counting the two security vans, mine and Rafe's. It took us over an hour driving time to the very small resort.

When we got there, groups of people set off on their own with their closest buddies. Some guys from the other bands, not as classy as Axis, were drinking very early. This even annoyed and disgusted Dylan and Mutt who planned to get wasted, later while we drove. I tried very hard to ignore them, and kept my eye on where Jake was located. I hadn't realized how much extra security he gave me till he was there.

The hiking trail to the waterfall was very enticing. Rafe had got a small map of the area, ascertaining right off, in his cool black spandex and red muscle shirt, and helmet--- when needed--- he planned to mountain bike again--- that the waterfalls weren't all that far. He was more than excited to do this adventure. In fact, had unloaded his own mountain bike, even though it was advertised that they had them here to rent. I had to rent.

He didn't specifically invite others, but when I went to the crowded bike shop, I noticed that our standard group was already there, renting bikes as well. Jeff, Ben, Mutt, Dylan, Jeremy and Levi, and another guy I didn't know. Jake and Tim were there ready to go as well, all decked out in sports gear, looking normal and interested.

I got my bike and was on my way back over to Rafe at the rest area, when I felt a slap on my behind and a naughty laugh. I looked enraged as Dylan rode by on his own bike, his eyebrows raised. I thought about his brazen behavior and wanted to tell Rafe immediately. Instead I looked around to see if Jake had noticed, and he hadn't but--- Aiden had. He was standing by the van, staying back here to protect it and our interests in the parking area. He gave me a questioning look and I bit my lip.

He beckoned me over.

I didn't know him from before at all. He was new and I didn't know what his protocol was. "Was that guy bugging you, Miss Mann?"

"You can call me Aubrey, or Doctor Mann, but Miss Mann makes me feel like a teenager." I smiled as Dylan rode off laughing. "I think he's harmless, but yeah, he's been bugging me."

"I'll take care of it." He said stoically, hands on hips.

"What will you do? He kind of--- told me--- that if I told Rafe--- he'd quit the band high and dry and they'd be without a drummer."

He eyed me speculatively. "And you believed him?"

"Am I being naïve again?"

"Yes, Aubrey." He said with a small smile, not real friendly and not too condescending. "Go on your bike ride and I will take care of it. He won't bother you again."

I smiled hesitantly, not sure what he meant he would actually do, but trusting that he was my father's choice, and therefore tactful. I peddled over to Rafe who was now joined by his band plus some. He gave me a look, wondering what I'd been talking to security for, and then outlined how far and what level of riders needed to be on this excursion, he also told them it would take a good part of the day, and not to expect to do all the zip lining and other stuff.