154: Aubrey

154: Aubrey

His eyes on mine were steady. "How are you feeling?"

"Sweaty." I said simply. "Another effect of nervous breakdown."

He ran his hand down my back and then up and under my top. "You are drenched in sweat."

"I told you. It's a physiological response." I blew out my breath. "I guess too much is just too much. I like your idea about handling what we can, and fixing those things. What else can we control?"

"Well, I like the studio here. The music in my head is pretty crazy. I need to lay it down." He nodded as his phone vibrated. "Yeah?"

He had it on speaker for my benefit. It was Kell. "President Cannon and Bishop Bradley, are on their way to the room you guys are holed up in to issue recommends should you pass the interviews, and then your mother and pop are ready to take you two to the distribution center for um hm hm.... Garments."

I saw Rafe start. "I forgot about garments. I'll need a whole new wardrobe, won't I?

"Possibly. Probably not. Your dad is waiting to take you. If you would like my input, I would be happy to assist you."

"Sure, yeah."

"Done." Kell said. "They should be to your room right about now. I will leave you to it. Is Aubrey lucid?"

"Stop it. I wasn't ever not lucid."

"No, you were just having a nervous breakdown."

"Don't make more out of this than----."

"Don't dictate to me, baby of the family. I understand nervous breakdown, I have seen several Mann Sisters in this predicament. Several times as a matter of fact. I know how to handle it."

There was a knock on the door and it opened to reveal our Stake President and our Bishop. I felt like I was about to throw up. More nerves. More nerves. But not because of them. Not because of marriage, not because of Rafe, not because of impending sex, or wedding. I knew--- knew it was just all of it...

My dad was with them. His eyes sought mine anxiously, without seeming anxious. He smiled and he managed to look extremely confident. He moved in to shake Rafe's hand and lo and behold a figure loomed behind him. I had a tremor go through me. Fallon.

"Sis." Fallon's voice was deep, on purpose, to be fake serious. He was never serious. Gavin was with him. Gavin--- bigger than all the seps. Gees. I forgot how tall he is. Tall and lighter haired. He couldn't step inside this small room.

I started to move past everyone to Fallon, drawn by some inner inability to resist him.

He grabbed me, flipped me around and head knuckled my head. Of course he would. Where's the hug? Where's the sympathy? Where's the congratulations?

Nowhere. With Fallon the only thing that existed was his reality. And right now--- he thought we were at home on the living room floor.

"Rafe, this is my brother Fallon." Rafe moved to my side, touching me on the back, leaning close to me, shaking Fallon's outstretched hand as he finished knuckling my head. I had to jerk away, not meanly, but firmly.

"Rafe, I am a great admirer of your----- choice in women." Fallon said as if he'd been about to say he admired Rafe's music or something. Of course, he'd switch it up.

Kell came up behind them. Gavin moved aside, and my eyes caught his. Gavin and I are close. He is much less intense than any of the other seps. He's solid and methodical, warm and thoughtful. He appealed to me.