142: Aubrey

142: A

Teotihuacan.

The quintessential ancient ruins destination.

The bus dropped us all off where they have to park, quite a ways away. It was blazing hot at seven in the morning already, and storm clouds were on the horizon, promising a thunder shower or two later. The air was muggy.

"So, this is the birthplace of the Gods." Rafe said as we reverently walked up the central lane, crowded already with tourists. The pyramids were too big. Unreal. You couldn't see the tops from the ground.

The grounds were deforested grasslands, as Ben and I had known they would be, according to Book of Mormon culture. The ruins all around us were cement, glistening with gemlike rocks in the sun. I had my umbrella, my spray bottle with fan, baseball cap, and glasses. Rafe asked why I was so sun protective, and asked if skin cancer ran in my family.

"Is that a deal breaker, if it does?"

"Might be." He rubbed his thumb under the waistband of my shorts.

I laughed and adjusted the little backpack I had on. It was heavier than usual. With more than a lot of water, and extra shoes, socks, and the first aid kit. I figured the pyramid might be a pretty good hike, and I might need to doctor a few blisters.

Tim, ahead of us, met up with the tour guide who was to take us on the initial tour of the ruins. Our group was huge now--- well over sixty people had asked to come, as there was to be no concert tonight, so everyone was free. The tour guide was a taller Mexican man, with thinning dark hair, and a round face, with neatly trimmed facial hair. He looked to be in his late thirties or so, and wore blue jeans and a Teotihuacan t-shirt. His smile was infectious when he told us in perfect English and only a slight accent that we would really do better in smaller groups, and to break us down into groups of less than fifteen. A few other tour guides were on their way.

"Are there any expectant mothers?" The tour guide had introduced himself as Trevino, and he looked around happily.

Rafe raised my hand high. "This girl." I snatched my hand down and our small group started laughing.

"That is good, senora, very many congratulations to you! I will have your party join with another party with a pregnant family. We will take it a little slower."

"Oh, I'm not---." I began, and Rafe clasped his hand over my mouth.

"She is. Due in March."

"I will take you all on a personally tailored tour, just for you, sweet lady." Trevino smiled and ushered a very nice looking Mexican family to our sides.

Other tour guides began splitting our group into smaller groups and Rafe kept his eyes on them. He was laughing just under the surface, squeezing my hand, and he snickered, "You might not be pregnant now, but you will be."

I pretended to be shocked, but was secretly pleased, and surprised, and the wonderful thought of having a child permeated my whole being. I leaned into Rafe's side and he kissed me.

Trevino introduced us to Gomez and Ariana, and their daughter, Felicity. Gomez had two brothers with him, Marcos, and Carlos who he said were visiting from out of town, and that was why they were touring. Ariana had just found out she was expecting and was due in February, and she came to my side and took my hand, squeezing it. I guessed her age to be about the same as mine, her beautiful long dark hair was braided and wound around the top of her head artfully. Her daughter, Felicity was adorable, and about four.