CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO

"Anyway, have you heard the news?"

"A soul bond is when a soul is deliberately and tightly bound to something to the point where each of them has a part within the other. Soul bonds also tend to be very rare, really. And to be soul bonded to someone means giving yourself to them whole—in mind, body, and spirit."

(Source: coincidence.wikidot.com)

"Soul bonding," Jimin mutters to himself, fingertips following the words he reads. "Why are we studying soul bonding? I've never heard of cases like this that'd actually happened. I thought they said it's just fiction, a story only the ancient generations believe," he added, carefully turning the page of the book perched on his lap. "I mean, is that really even possible for two individuals to have their souls tied to someone's? How?" There's peanut butter bread suddenly pressed at the corner of his lips, and he distractedly opened his mouth to have a bite without withdrawing his eyes from the book. It's actually fascinating to learn such things, but somehow still very impossible to believe, he thinks.

There's a rustling of plastic beside him. He knows it's a bag of Taehyung's favorite Cheetos even without looking. "I don't know, Minnie. But I know that this topic will be tackled not even in the next two months. Why are you reading this one, anyway? It'll probably be in finals but that's still like 5 months away."

He nods his head. "I have nothing to do, Seokjin wasn't here and you have to finish your Statistics and I am bored."

"Don't you have cooking class?"

Jimin groans at the words, turning to face Taehyung with narrowed eyes. "And that, too. I don't like it. I don't want to be in that class like ever. I won't ever set foot in that room. No."

Taehyung smiles brightly at him. Jimin wonders why when there's absolutely nothing funny. "You know you can't just do that, Minnie. You're one of those grade conscious kids out there I know and you'll not gonna let a cooking class ruin your grades, don't you?"

"First of all, I am not grade conscious," he bring his eyes back to the book, "But I have a position to maintain and pride to protect. And secondly, cooking class, seriously? Just because we're omega doesn't mean we'll have to stay at home and do house chores all our life. We could also do what betas and alphas' can."

There's a beat of silence and Jimin panics a little inside, wondering if he had somehow offended the other boy. He meant nothing bad at that, but he had always been a man of reasons (and equality). He was about to spit excuses to worm his way out of the situation when one of the alpha's large hands is suddenly on his left shoulder—weight oddly sending his nerves on another wave of panic—probably smelled his conflicted, stubborn emotions.

"Hey, it's fine," he says, voice gentle as if afraid he would startle Jimin if he didn't. "You know, that cooking class wasn't just for omegas. They said we all need to take that class whatever the sta—" Taehyung cuts himself off midsentence and even without looking at his face, Jimin knows he's hesitating, maybe watching his reaction towards the word, too.

And so he just nod twice; a silent permission that it's fine to continue and say the word even though it is honestly not. The word has always sends him unpleasant feeling, eating him from the inside and setting nausea down his stomach until he feels the urge to vomit. He hates the word very much.

The alpha clears his throat, still hesitant before he continues, "—status. Because when we finally found our mate and settled down, it's not only the omegas that have to show efforts of caring for the partner. It's applied to all."