CHAPTER FIFTEEN

"What makes you think he isn't your mate?"

Jimin stretches his arms above his head, groaning, trying to loosen the knots on his back.

He's been hunched over his desk for the past 3 hours, working on assignments due the next day and trying to squeeze quick reviews for the upcoming exam week. Truth be told, he's cramming more than usual even on the weekends because he can't help but feel a little threatened when he saw the bulletin board the other day. Yes, he's keeping the rank 1 spot but Jeon was suddenly in the top 10 after transferring in their school and even landing rank 2 in no time. There's no way Jimin will hand over his rank to the alpha just like that. He's been good at maintaining his grades for years, he can't lose just like this.

The omega eyed the box of cookies and tupper of home made meal sitting at the side of his study desk. Taehyung dropped by his apartment earlier to deliver the food saying Seokjin made a lot for the two of them. Jimin doesn't have the heart to tell the alpha that he already knew the Kim brothers purposefully cooked extra serving for him just like the usual.

His stomach automatically made a rumbling noise when he thought about the meal; opening the box of cookies and chewing on a piece while he brought the rest to his kitchen. He's used to eating alone; he's been on his own since the day he presented. But these days, he's not sure why being alone makes him feel a little lonely. It's a foreign feeling, if he's being honest. The last time he felt like this was when his father looked down on him for being an omega; when his mother left him to the hands of the pack healer for not being the alpha they expected him to be; and when the other pups who he thought were his friends turned their backs on him in a snap.

It's a painful memory that he never wanted to relive anymore.

Maybe he's just getting used to eating meals with Seokjin and Taehyung on campus? They've been together for years. Or maybe because he's getting used to spending his free time in the coffee shop with Yoongi while he works? Just the presence of the beta in the same place as him made him feel occupied for some reason. Or maybe because he found an omega acquaintance with Hoseok? He's never had an omega friend simply because they don't like him for being different.

He may not have noticed it before but he's certainly painstakingly aware of it now -- of how his world had shifted with new people in his life.

Like also Jeon, for example.

Since the alpha came to their campus, he's always been aware of his mark's existence on his body. It has been in a deeper dark ink, always throbbing like a thousand needles pricking his torso everytime the alpha was near his proximity. How his omega has become annoyingly craving for the alpha's attention, how it'll preen inside his head with just the sound of Jeon's voice speaking directly to him. Of how his body and senses were suddenly familiar with the alpha's presence and scent.

It's all new to him. And he doesn't really know how to feel about it.

Jimin decided to take a long bath after filling his stomach. Maybe the warm water will calm his mind and loosen the tense in his body. He needs distraction. A new kind of distraction. A distraction that doesn't involve a certain alpha with raindrops and black coffee scent.