Chapter Thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN.

Katie was told to get dressed in the sitting room. They brought down some clothes and the woman FBI officer watched her put them on. 

Katie had stopped crying. 'Am I under arrest?' She started to shake, but it wasn't from feeling cold. It was 2.30 on a warm sunny afternoon. 

'No, we're not arresting you. We're taking you back to San Francisco for questioning.' The woman shrugged. 'Can't tell you any more than that.'

It became obvious to Katie that she and Paul were in serious trouble. She hoped it was a case of mistaken identity or something that could be sorted out quickly.

Her escort of two cops took Katie out to a waiting police car and they sped north out of Carmel and onto Highway 101 towards San Francisco.

-O-

Paul was allowed to dress in the bedroom. He felt like he was in a bad-taste prank and these weren't cops. It had to be a mistake. They were on holiday, for Christ's sake.

The lead FBI officer came over and said formally, 'you're under arrest for abduction.' 

While the officer went through the formalities, Paul's mind tried to figure out what the agent was talking about. Paul couldn't make sense of it and gave up. Half an hour later he was on his way to San Francisco. His head hurt from the bruise to his forehead which he got when he was forced to the ground in the bedroom. In the car he closed his eyes and thought of Katie.