XXXIX - Silence

This chapter seems complicated

All will be revealed soon, I promise :')

_______________________________________________________________________

Chapter Thirty-Nine

When Fury finally came into the meeting room, Jordan bit his lip a little and spoke up. He wasn't entirely sure what the director might say to his request.

"Hey, Fury, uh..."

"What?" Fury asked, his tone dead and calm, as per usual.

"Do you think that we could give her her phone? Or an iPod or something?"

"Why?" Tony asked, immediately seeming against the idea.

"Because, she..." Jordan glanced at Jacob, not seeming sure if he should tell them. But then Jacob nodded, so Jordan looked back at Fury. "She has extreme sedatephobia."

Everyone else seemed confused, but at the same time, surprised. The big bad vampire was afraid of something. Bruce was the only one that seemed to understand.

"She's afraid of silence?" he asked.

Jordan nodded. "Yeah. And in that cell she can barely hear machine hum."

Bruce, in all honesty, wasn't surprised to find out that Seline had a fear. After all, he was afraid of a multitude of things, and he was deemed by Tony as an "enormous green rage monster". Perhaps he and Seline would get along better than he originally thought they would.

"Why?" Steve asked, and Jacob looked to Jordan for the explanation. He could explain it better.

"A thousand years ago, when Seline became a vampire, things were... Different, for her. She used to be a servant, but near the end of her employment, I guess that 'slave' would be a better way to say it. She got away with her family, all of whom her old master soon murdered, and..."

"She murdered Vincent and his men," Loki suddenly said from the other side of the table, causing everyone to look right at him. "And when she was done, having taken a life for the first time, she couldn't hear anything in the castle. Because she had killed everyone in it."

Jacob and Jordan were both surprised.

"She told you?" Jordan asked.

"She told me about Vincent," he said. "But not about the silence. I saw her expression when she spoke of the first night she was a vampire... I simply put the pieces together."

Jacob nodded a little. "Well, yeah, you're right. It frightens her because it brings back memories of her murdering someone, and the..." he paused, searching for the right word. "Savagery that can come with her urges. It was easily the darkest time in her life, and though she doesn't show it, complete silence thoroughly terrifies her."

"Is it really safe to give her a phone, though?" Tony asked. "I mean, she's technically a prisoner."

"Trust me, if she wanted off the helicarrier, she'd be gone by now," Jordan stated. "If you people think that a glass cage can hold her, you don't know a lot about our kind."

"You're saying that she has the strength to break out of it?" Fury asked, a small bit of anxiety washing over his features.

"With time, yeah. A few punches," Jordan hummed. "That's what I mean. She could leave any time she wants to. She just doesn't appear to have that desire, I guess. She probably just wants to know why the Avengers have taken an interest in her."