Chapter 23

Author POV

"Guys! I might have done something really bad." Max shouts 'panicked'. At that, everybody who could hear him, ran into the room to see something horrifying.

"What did you do Max!" Sky shouts running to the unconscious body on the floor. The body that was covered in burns. The body of Jessica Aphmau Odisin.

"S-she knew not to make me mad. I just exploded and it hit her!" Max says, putting out the little flame on her flower garland. The flower garland is burnt. Suddenly, she sits up.

"Hey guys. What's up?" She gets up and dusts off the coal dust on her shirt before taking her garland off of her head and turning it back to the lilac colour that it always had. She puts it on her head.

"What...?" Ross says. She tilts her head to the side.

"What's wrong Ross? Oh and Max?" She turns to the red headed boy. "You call that fire?"

"How are you alright!" Jin shouts, totally confused. Max and Jess turn to each other before looking at the group.

"It's just a prank bro!"

Aphmau POV

Right now, me and Max are outside at night because we are being punished but I don't mind it.

"Hey Max, want to go to my secret cabin in the woods?" I ask him. He just gives me a confused look before slowly nodding. I take a hold of his arm before teleporting to the waypoint that I put there. "This is where I went when I was running from Kala. I slept the night here after I was sitting on this log for about four hours straight in the pouring rain." I explain to him.

"Wasn't this also the place where you were attacked?" He asks. I nod.

"This is also the place where I found out that the squids wanted to kidnap me and extract my power. Which reminds me that I should continue reading the diary." I summon the diary in my hands.

"Well I'm going to play on my phone so I'm going to be on this chair." Max says before walking over to the old chair that was already in here. I turn my garland into a chair and sit on it before opening the diary to another entry.

Dear Diary,

Us squids have figured out a way to extract the power of the girl leader when we see her. The scientists figured out that the only way to actually take her power is if she trusts us enough so we have created a machine to help us with that. This machine will slowly corrupt her mind and brain wash her into thinking that we can be trusted. After we extract all of her power, we will send her to train and fight against her own friends. Ripping them apart one by one. That way, we won't have anybody to stand in our way.

Squid ward

I look at my hand, shocked, not noticing that I have dropped the diary until Max walks over to me and starts to shake me, trying to talk to me. But I couldn't hear him. I was too deep in thought. Why do the squids have to be so cruel. Brainwash me? For what? So they can help Loki, my uncle, the one who will betray them as soon as they have got my power. This is just horrifying, knowing that. I can't let them brainwash me. I won't give them the satisfaction that they will make me kill my friends.

"We have to stop them!" I shout before standing up, turning my garland into a pair of sunglasses to hide the tears that are coming out of my eyes. "Let's go back to the house. We need to hurry up and collect the rest of the sky army before it's too late. The squids are becoming stronger and I refuse to join them!" I shout at Max before running outside. I take out my sword and strike a squid that's coming out from the lake. He dodges it. I scan him to see that he is wearing a crown.

"Jess! Calm do-" Max stops talking as soon as he sees the squid King.

"Squid ward." I glare at him.

"Hello human girl. Or should I say Jessica Odisin. Pleasure to meet you. Now I would stay and chat but I have work to do and I would appreciate it if you would come with me." Suddenly, squids in armour, holding swords, come out of the lake. I open the group mind link, forgetting that everybody else could hear our conversation that's in the link.

"Max, we need to kill the squids as quick as we can. We can't let them call for reinforcements." I say. I hear everybody else open their own link, hearing what I said but I ignore them. Max does the same.

"Right. Just clear as much as we can. I can't teleport until I can get complete concentration." Max says. I nod.

"You just concentrate while I hold them off. Tell me when you can teleport and I will grab you. Just go hide behind the cabin!" I say through the link while blocking off the attacks, stabbing the squids that I could. I turn into my Irene form while Max runs behind the cabin. Since he is new to teleporting, he needs more concentration since he hasn't practised. The only reason Katelyn could easily teleport was because she only had to press a button and it only teleported her to me.

"Oh look. Your friend has given up on you. This is much easier. Guards! Take her to the cells when you have captured her. I will go and do some work." He then turns to me. "So long 'princess'." He jumps into the lake.

"What is happening to you guys? Where are you?" I hear sky ask. They have all been asking these questions and it's giving me a headache.

"Jess! Come here!" I hear Max shout. I stab the last squid before running over to Max, trying not to trip from the cut on my leg that I have gained from fighting. I jump on his back and he teleports us to Mitch, instantly catching me as I fall. I'm still in my Irene form since I didn't have enough time to switch.

"Max! Jess! What happened to you guys!" Mitch asks, leading us to the living room where everybody else is. I just shrug, letting myself slowly go back into my normal form.

"What form was that Jess?" Katelyn asks, mouth wide open. "It was beautiful." Cadenza nods, agreeing with her.

"Long story short, we got attacked." I say.

"You also freaked out Jess! What was in that book that freaked you out so much? I was shaking you for five minutes straight. You didn't even hear me. Explain." Max gives me a look. I just sigh before taking out the diary.