Chapter 1

Dreams    Grayson

I was smiling even before my eyes opened. That, my friends, was some dream. All wrapped up in feminine perfection. Long legs. Soft hair falling all over my pillow. Small noises of contented pleasure. Until my headache interrupted the euphoria. I swore I wouldn't drink that much again. At least that was what I always promised myself the morning after.

My bathroom was alive, and above the sound of running water, I heard, "what should we do for breakfast?" No.No.No. Not again. And soon, my lucid dream joined me. In the bed. Her minty breath wanted more. What was her name? God help me. Something that started with a "J," I thought. Jane...Julie...? Or was that last week's nightmare?

Trust    Laurabelle

Profound experiences caught us by surprise, involved nouns, and changed things. Forever. Mine were measurable. Mainly because of the metaphorical umbilical cord still tethered to my parental unit. It was hard to quit a seventeen year habit.

"Where's my camera?" I called down the hall from my bedroom.

"Top shelf, coat closet," Mom answered from the kitchen. She was making a goodie bag for me in honor of my first semi-profound taste of independence. One that came in the form of a seven hour train ride.

One more backward glance, and I was ready to leave the place I called home. Mom started the car as soon as I got in. Her face couldn't hide the crinkled worry around her eyes. My impending lack of supervision was a big deal for all of us. I was pretty sure it meant my parents trusted me. "Got your ticket?"

"Yes, Mom." I smiled because I knew she had an extra copy in her pocket. Just in case. 

Believe it or not, my liberator—Kansas City's Union Station—was once a condemned landmark. A building I could photograph for days and never comprehend its soul. Her magnificent ceilings always drew my attention...upward. Up to the beautifully-restored painted patterns and embellishments which were often taken for granted by the average person but never lost on me.

"We're here," mom said, still holding the goodie bag as if holding it longer added more love.

"You always take care of me," I told her; then, I hugged her. One of those big hugs that lasted too long.

"You're going to have the time of your life," Mom said. Her eyes threatened an outpouring of transparent concern, and I thought that the saddest part of parenting must be the end of the next stage. When the child's life (mine) went on. Without her.

"I love you more than sugar," Mom whispered in my ear. She always said that.

Superhero    Grayson

She needed me. My sister. My Lilly. To her, I was Superman. Her savior. Which meant I needed to go to her even though it was beyond inconvenient. No child should have to be a parent when they were still a child.

Lisa. Lilly's mother, not mine. Strung out, tired, depressed. Grief was the reason. The cause. The excuse. Only it wasn't an excusable excuse, not really. Because we all missed him. My dad. The one who left before his time.

Seat 63    Laurabelle

Mom wouldn't worry long because as soon as I got to Chicago, I'd be with Shanna, my best friend thanks to Shedd Aquarium's love of Lake Ecology. Shane found me at a selective summer high school program ran through Chicago's famous aquarium. A program that linked art and applied science, the former of which was my reason for applying and why I attended. Anyways, Shanna was responsible. Definitely more responsible than Saige, my fraternal womb sharer. My sister, Saige, was the perfect twin: straight teeth, long legs, and dimples. I equalled the epitome of average. I was the ordinary to Saige's extraordinary, and my greatest accomplishment thus far was breathing the earth's atmosphere a full five minutes before her.