Chapter 7

Backseat Confessional      Laurabelle

I looked for the sophisticated girl in the train's bathroom mirror, the one from Chicago's Art Institute. But all I saw was me. Tired, swollen eyes. Red lines on my cheek from the pattern of my pillow. The me in the mirror frowned because she missed the other me from last night. The current state of my looks wouldn't attract any boy.

Both of my parents waited for me a mere yardstick from the Arrivals entrance. The doorway that welcomed me into Kansas City's Union Station. They both had these huge smiles plastered across their faces. Seemed like a good sign and gave me hope. Hope that my parents—my dad—would have an open mind about their child's love life. "Laurabelle!" Mom actually ran the short distance between us and knocked me sideways with her enthusiastic welcome. Dad followed her and steadied our embrace.

"I missed you guys," I admitted into our group hug.

Dad took my bags, and mom walked arm-in-arm with me all the way to the car, and as soon as the car started, Dad started, "so, you met a guy on the train to Chicago, huh?" Dad's counselor tone made the question sound benign.

"Yes, his name is Grayson."

"Well, we want to know everything," Dad said. I breathed again when I caught sight of his slight smile in the rearview mirror. Mom turned in the front passenger seat and faced me as I spoke. My parents heard about the elderly lady not understanding about the seat on the train. Then about Grayson's chivalrous rescue. And I was careful to omit the parts of the story that made me seem irresponsible. I passed my camera to my mom so she could see the photograph of Grayson. The one on the steps of The Art Institute.

"He's so handsome, Laurabelle."

"I know, Mom."

"Let me see," Dad commanded from his driver's seat throne. Mom held the camera steady, in front of his squinty eyes. "He knows how to dress in the presence of a lady...says something for him," Dad said.

"Something good, right Dad?"

Dad winked at me in the rearview mirror. "Yes, something good."

My parents knew how to say a lot to each other without using words, and they exchanged a lot of nods and looks as I relayed the details of my trip. The people, the friends, the places. And they seemed genuinely excited to meet Grayson. It was like they wanted him to visit me. So, on the way home I called Grayson, told him that he was welcome in my home with full approval from my parents. And after I hung up, my dad said he could tell this thing with Grayson went deep because of the way I lit up when I talked to him.

My fall was already evident.

Hope      Grayson

They didn't want me to leave. Lilly cried and told me she'd miss me too much if I left before I had to. Lisa was quiet. But it seemed like she was laughing at me from the inside. I had to leave though. Because I had to be with Laurabelle. I had to see her again. I had to keep what she gave me. Hope. 

Peace. 

And Hope. 

Love, or something close. 

And Hope. 

Friendship. 

And Hope.

Music. 

And Hope.

Beauty. 

And Hope.

Poetry.