Chapter 17

Goodbye and Not Goodnight     Laurabelle

Kansas City's Union Station delivered my suitcase, and I checked to see if Grayson accepted his birthday presents or if he abandoned them just like he abandoned me without a second thought. I was actually surprised to see their absence, figured Grayson wouldn't want any part of me to stay with him forever.

I found a stowaway in my suitcase: Grayson's t-shirt. Probably in there by accident, but now part of him got to stay with me too. Along with a handwritten note addressed to me.

Dear Miss Laurabelle Bennett,

I want to personally thank you for the best birthday present I've ever received; unfortunately, under our current circumstances, showing my appreciation face-to-face is impossible.

Although your gifts belong in public places for others to admire, they hang in a place of honor in my bedroom because they're mine. I'll appreciate them everyday, just as I'm thankful everyday for knowing you.

I don't know my future, but I imagine, hope, and dream there will be a place for us someday. I'm sorry I hurt you, my sweet Kansas, there really was no other way.

I waited until my actual birthday to open the gifts. That's why my "thank you" is so late.

With Love, Grayson Miller

Sometimes, Grayson called the house, but he always asked for Dad. They usually spoke for a few minutes, a couple times for hours, and I really tried not be angry with my dad. Sometimes, I overheard my parents talking about Grayson. It was always in the evenings when they thought I was asleep or out of earshot from my bedroom and through their open door, Dad said Grayson felt overwhelmed with responsibility. My mom asked Dad if they ever talked about me, and my dad said they did, mostly because Grayson wanted to know how I was doing and tried to explain to my dad over and over why it was necessary to hurt me. My dad said Grayson was learning to be a man and struggled because he was the only adult taking care of Lilly.

Some days, Grayson or I randomly texted a song title. Or a quote. Or a few words straight from the heart. But we couldn't find a place to dwell beyond the us we were accustomed to.

Grayson needed me to release him. And his needs should come before mine. I didn't know if I could let him go, but I needed to try. Because our lives were going in different directions. I was starting my first year of college. Grayson was becoming a parent. We weren't even in the same game. Or the same ballpark. He was playing rugby, and I was swimming the butterfly.

I never said this has to be permanent. I don't 

want it to be. Everyday, I'm sorry for doing 

this to us, but it's necessary right now. -G

U still have a window into my heart even if 

the door is closed. Don't worry, we'll find 

our way, and we'll be stronger even though 

it hurts now. I'll cry for U, and you'll probably 

cry for me. I'll love U longer than forever, but