Chapter 9

Birthday Laurabelle

The biggest April Fool's joke anyone ever played on me happened 5 minutes after I was born. Saige forced me share my birthday with her for the rest of my life. Twins. I had heard about some twins having different birthdays. Like one was born on 11:58 pm one day and the other after midnight on the next. Seemed like the impossible dream.

Saige had always been the most popular Bennett girl. She had a lot more friends than I did and was always the one who sent out the invitations for the the birthday slumber parties. I went along with whatever my sister planned because everyone came to her parties, and besides, I got to open the obligatory "it's Saige's sister's birthday too" gifts. Truth be told, the thing I loved best about my birthday was that I shared it with Saige. Because let's face it, without her, I probably wouldn't even take the time to have a party. 

Birthdays happened to be a big deal in the Bennett Family. Cake, candles, gifts, games, food, and decorations, and because this was mine and Saige's 18th birthday, my parents went a little overboard. They got a DJ. Borrowed a Photo Booth. And even used a catering service for the food. My parents went crazy on the presents too. A new bracelet and earrings for Saige all gold and sparkly. And for me...several filters and a new zoom lens for my camera. We got to open our gifts early this year because I wanted to use mine at the party.

Saige and I dressed in our own style at the party; she looked like a classy model while I resembled a bohemian gypsy complete with a halo of wildflowers woven through my hair. And,  the party was a success. Friends and family dancing, laughing. The only thing missing from the perfect 18th birthday party was Grayson.

When we got home, I noticed a package on the porch. It was addressed to me. Inside was a metal canister with "Garrett's" printed on the side. Popcorn. Probably the Chicago mix. My mind travelled to that night. The party. The porch. The rescue. The popcorn. The kiss...

"Earth to Laurabelle...come in Laurabelle," Saige laughed.

"What?"

"Did your train boy really send you popcorn for your birthday?"

"It's meaningful," I answered.

"Wow, I figured him for a guy who'd be above practical jokes," Saige said. I laughed and threw a piece of popcorn at her. I missed. "I'm glad you think it's cute, Laurabelle," Saige teased, "but...if a guy ever gives me popcorn for my birthday, I'll kick him to the curb."

I hopped up on the kitchen counter and told my twin all about that night then confessed, "I can't stand it, Saige...I miss him SO much."

Saige listened, really listened to me, then reached behind me for the receipt at the bottom of the box. "Laurabelle, there's a card in here." She passed it to me.

Dearest Laurabelle,

Happy Birthday, Kansas! Please let this gift remind you of Chicago and me. I think of you and our time together every single day. I miss you so much. I'm proud to call you mine.

With All My Heart, Grayson

Except in dreams and photographs, I hadn't seen Grayson in two weeks which equalled the ultimate practical April fool's joke. We had both been so busy with school and kept missing each other's FaceTime attempts, but we already had an online date scheduled for tonight, even before the present arrived. I knew Grayson's face would be my best birthday present even if it showed up in some untouchable digital version.