Chapter 16

Already Home     Laurabelle

A High School Musical movie marathon was Remmy and Shanna's last hope in their plan to cheer me up. Zach Effron couldn't even make a dent in the sorrow. I wasn't able to fall asleep when the girls did, so I put my headphones on and lay in the dark...alone, listening to words that said exactly what I was feeling. I sent a message saying so to Grayson.

I don't understand, and I don't want to 

give up on U or us. Please, change your

mind. Listen to A Great Big World's "Say 

Something." I still love U, LB

The song was on repeat. The volume down low in my ears, and I tried not to think about the boy from the train. I willed him not to be my last thought because I didn't want to dream of him tonight. It didn't matter because a few hours later I was still awake.

The girl in Shanna's bathroom mirror, the one with the sad, puffy, red eyes wasn't me. I needed to go home. Surrounded myself with people who loved me, people who wanted me. I checked my phone. There was a text from Grayson, but I was too afraid to open it. Instead, I called my mom and told her about my plans. I'd go back to Kansas City today.

"It's bad, Mom" was all I could utter before the floodgates broke open. She told me she was sorry and would pray for my heart. And my dad could pick me up anytime today, then she told me she I loved me more than sugar because she always said that.

Remmy and Shanna understood and both took me to Midway because Southwest always had reasonably priced fares on their one-way, non-stop tickets to Kansas City.

My new credit card was for emergencies and upcoming college expenses, so I used it to purchase a plane ticket. I couldn't bear to ride the train.

After I was on the plane and couldn't change my mind about leaving, I read Grayson's message.

You're always perfectly beautiful, even

when you cry. Please don't give up on 

me or us. I pray our breakup is temporary. 

Listen to Maroon5's "Beautiful Goodbye." 

It's already on your iPod. I'm so sorry-G

p.s. I do love you. More than you'll ever know.

My head rested against the window, and I put "Beautiful Goodbye" on continuous repeat. The clouds blocked my view of the ground which was exactly how this situation with Grayson was. A huge cloud blocking us from our love, a love that was still there. I knew it, but Grayson couldn't see it. He acted like we could ignore it. Maybe he could. And, I quit searching for the earth even though I knew it was just below the thick clouds.

It only took an hour by air from Chicago to Kansas City. My dad was waiting at the gate searching the passengers until he saw my face, and as soon as he enveloped me in a hug, I held him too tight. While Dad waited in the baggage claim for my suitcase, I switched my phone from airplane mode. There was a missed call Grayson, a voice mail too. I reminded myself to breathe before I listened...

"Laurabelle, what are your plans for today and the rest of your time in Chicago? I need to talk to you. I can't sleep, and I need you to understand. Can I please see you before you leave? Please call me back...I know I don't deserve it, but please..."