Chapter 4

Dinner Laurabelle

I glossed my lips in the lobby of the Grand Lux Cafe where Shanna and I waited for Remmy. She was stuck babysitting her five younger siblings until one of her parents got home. She finally arrived with her usual flair, bounding into an embrace. 

By nature, Remmy was wild. And bossy. An all-conference track star. Short hair, black as night. And most of the time, Remmy wore a nose ring. Like me, she planned to major in English, only Remmy thrived on editing and reporting while I preferred creative writing.

Shanna was a classic beauty, an all American girl. Her flawless copper skin was to die for. She had the face of a model, smooth and blemish free. Shanna's hair was long, black, curly, and untamed. Her grey eyes made her beauty even more unique.

When I was with Remmy and Shanna, I was the token average girl among the goddesses. Just like when I was with my sister, Saige.

Last summer's entire High School Lake Ecology group met for dinner. I had been looking forward to seeing everyone. Even horny Cole, the guy who tried to get into every female's panties. Any girl who showed the tiniest bit of interest got Cole's full attention. Until she gave him what he sought: the Holy Grail between her legs. Then, with no shame, he moved on to the next conquest. During HSLE, Cole steered clear of me because of Blane's constant presence. Cole managed to ensnare Solstice during the first week of classes, And even though she was a big flirt in her own right, I felt sorry for her. Because everyone knew. And also because Cole used her.

The Grand Lux equalled dim lights, quiet music, and delicious food. Our HSLE group sat by a wall of windows overlooking Michigan Avenue. A positive because people-watching was one of my favorite pastimes. Fourteen summer scientists stuffed our stomachs almost as full as we stuffed our minds with information about each other. On one side of the table sat: Trenton, the perpetual drunkard...Ben, the quiet cowboy...Terryn, our group's class clown...Blane, my good friend and kayaking partner...and flirtatious Solstice. On my side of the table was: Grant, the outdoorsy hunter fisherman guy...Remmy...Shanna...womanizing Cole...and me. 

Our leaders—Ryan, Leslie, Mitch, and Joe—sat two-by-two at the heads of the table. Ryan was way beyond smart, always helping students with the technical side of science. Like making sure the petrie dishes were well-stocked and correctly labeled. Leslie, our only female leader, was the natural mother hen of the group. Mitch was the gregarious "leader of the leaders." Then, there was sweet, quiet Joe, my favorite leader. Joe related best with the HSLE students. Maybe because he was just one year out of college and closest to our age.

I sat directly across from Blane at dinner. We were able to talk but not like we wanted, so we made plans to meet up later in the weekend. And catch up over a Saturday morning Duncan Donuts breakfast. 

The group was about to disperse when Trenton made an announcement, "I want to invite all of you over to my house Friday night. I'm having a few friends over to play video games, dance, and hang out." We knew Trenton meant he was having a P-A-R-T-Y in the true sense of the word. We all exchanged looks when he asked, "Who's in?" Slowly, everyone raised their hands. Except me, Shanna, and the leaders. I knew Shanna wanted to go, so I raised my hand too. Everyone cheered.

Parties were not my scene. My parents strongly disapproved of underage drinking, And I had a habit of letting their ideas and values rub off on me. There was no harm in going to this party though. I'd just avoid the alcohol. As we left, everyone except Cole and Solstice exchanged hugs. No one really said "goodbye" because we'd see each other Friday at Trenton's party.

Then, Shanna, Remmy, and I walked around the streets of Chicago. Later than we should have. But it didn't matter because Shanna's mom, Shelly, worked the night shift.