Chapter 13

June 10 Grayson

I woke up before 6:00am on my last full day with Laurabelle. I couldn't get back to sleep after I used the restroom, so I took a shower and dressed before she woke up. She finally stirred after 9am but only after I bugged her. "I hope your dreams were worth it because I've been missing you," I said.

Laurabelle shrugged with her eyes still closed before she found her voice, "about my dream...let's just say...I haven't missed you because you were there."

"We only have today and half of tomorrow left," I said. An exaggerated pout crossed my face before I pulled her closer and fell into sadness and despair.

"Grayson, our relationship is long distance...we need to get used to being together for short intense visits, and also being apart for impossibly long periods of time too."

"I know, Kansas, I just don't want to think about you leaving me."

"Alright, but it's inevitable," she said, "this is us, Grayson."

"I'm going to the kitchen," I said.

"It's going to be okay," she called after me.

Prelude to a Goodbye Laurabelle

Grayson wasn't in the kitchen after my shower, but I did find Lisa and Lilly eating breakfast. Lisa smiled and asked how I was doing, so I told her how Grayson was acting. She said he was a sensitive guy and probably took a walk so I wouldn't see him cry.

"Lisa, I hope I didn't steal Grayson away from you guys too much while I was here." I said. I tried not to think about the drinking because I thought I could like her, minus that.

"Are you kidding, Sweetie, I've never seen Grayson happier." Her mask slipped a little, revealing something inauthentic. "But the day after you go home, we may be cursing your name if he mopes around too much."

"Yeah, Grayson's gonna to be so depressed," Lilly said before leaving the kitchen.

I laughed at Lilly's candor and told Lisa, "thank you for being so hospitable."

"Well, please come back next year when he's in Texas and you're...well, here," Lisa offered.

"Thank you, Lisa," I said.

"You know...if you guys are still together, you could even stay in Grayson's room...then you'd feel closer to him when he's so far away," Lisa added.

My face blushed to red before I said, "I'll be here so often, you guys'll get tired of me."

"Grrrreat...," she said all drawn out like she regretted her offer.

Grayson interrupted our conversation with his sudden presence. He'd been eavesdropping. "I don't want anyone sleeping in my bed when I'm gone," he teased, "that's just gross." He smiled at me.

"Now, Grayson...Laurabelle isn't just anyone now, is she?" Lisa asked. Then she gave Grayson a condescending, judgmental look before adding, "I know how you love having a girl in your bed."

I was wide-eyed and speechless. Grayson clenched his jaw until Lisa made her triumphant exit from the kitchen. She seemed more like a sister to Grayson than any kind of mother. My eyes were still bugging out over the comment when Grayson came over and hugged me. "I'm sorry I was grumpy," he said in my hair.

"I know. It's okay," I replied.

"It scares me how much I feel for you," he confessed.

I leaned into him and pivoted my head until our lips met over my shoulder. Grayson turned me around, and we stood forehead to forehead. I put my hands on Grayson's chest, and he kissed me wantonly with his whole body in a way you would never would have known we had a conversation about waiting.