Chapter 7

Winry had just finished fixing Ed's automail when Ed and Char finally finished explaining. "Okay, that's cleared a few things up for me then. But why didnt you tell me you were someone's guardian?" asked Winry. Ed shrugged.

"It didnt seem important at the time," he replied, sitting up and stretching his arm, making sure it worked.

"You still should have told me! I thought you got a girlfriend or something." Char fell over backwords and Ed's wound opened up again.

"G-Girlfriend?! What the hell Winry!" cried Ed. Winry humphed.

"If you'd told me, I wouldnt have assumed something like that." Ed shook his head, then looked over at Al, who was sitting silently over in the corner.

"Al's lucky. See, if I had a bigger body, people wouldnt keep assuming weird things like that! But because of how you look, Al, nobody makes silly presumptions like you're going out with someone.."

"It's not like I wanted this body!" Al shouted suddenly, standing up. For a moment they stood there in silence, then Ed looked down.

"Sorry Al. That was stupid of me. But I promise, I'll get your body back soon."

"How can I believe that!" Ed looked at him in surprise.

"Trust me Al. I'll definately..."

"How can I trust you! After all, you were the one who made me like this."

"What do you mean? Al, what's wrong?" asked Ed worriedly.

"How do I know that Al exists? After all, memories are just scraps of information that can be altered or created. When were in Resembool, you said there was something you wanted to tell me. And it's that the person Alphonse Elric never actually existed, right?!"

Ed slammed his fist down, making them all jump, and Al fell silent. "So you've been brooding on that since we go back...Well, okay, if that's who you want to be, I cant stop you," Ed said finally, standing up and walking out of the room.

"Mr Fullmetal, sir!" Maria called after him, but he ignored her.

The room was quiet when Winry turned to Al. "Al..." she murmured, and he looked at her. "You idiot!" she shouted, grabbing her wrench and chucking it at him. Char backed out of the way as Winry proceeded to batter Al with several wrenches, two screwdrivers, and on occasion a drill. Finally she stopped, simply whacking Al with a wrench repeatedly. "Idiot...idiot...idiot..." she mumbled over again.

Finally she looked up, and tears were in her eyes. "Do you want to know what Ed wanted to ask you?! He wanted to ask you if you hate him because of what's happened to you!" Al gasped slightly, and Char's eyes widened. She looked at Al, who was now standing silently. Winry wiped her eyes and pointed at the door.

"Go after him," she ordered. Al nodded and walked towards the door. "Run!" she bellowed and Al ran out of the door and down the corridor. Char smiled and sat down, closing her eyes and focusing on their presences.

Ed was standing at the edge of the building, leaning on the safety bar. "Brother, I.." began Al when Ed turned to face him, stretching.

"You know, we haven't sparred in a while, and I'm feeling a bit out of shape."

"But brother, your wounds haven't healed.." started Al before Ed leapt at him, attacking. Al started blocking and dodging his attacks, trying not to hurt Ed. Suddenly a white sheet covered his face and then he found himself lying on his back, pulling the sheet off his head with Ed standing above him victoriously.