Chapter 8

Char lay in the bed that Izumi had prepared for her. Winry lay across from her, sleeping peacefully. Char looked at her for a second, then got up and looked outside at the moonlight. It was oddly intoxicating, and Char opened the window before climbing out onto the roof. She sat there for a while, looking up at the moon. As she sat there, exhaustion took over her and she closed her eyes, lying down on her side.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wow Daddy! What was that!" she cried. A muscular man with golden hair and light brown eyes that sparkled behind some glasses looked at her and smiled.

"That was Alchemy."

"Alchemy?"

"Yes. It's a way to control the energy of the world and change it to shape it into something you want to create."

"Can anyone do Alchemy?"

"Not always. But I reckon you could."

"Can you teach me?"

"Of course."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You've got the basics down."

"I have? Great! Can we get onto more advanced stuff now?"

"If you want. Here, I'll teach you a type of Alchemy that nobody but me know's how to use. It's called 'Light Alchemy'. It allows the user to control the light around them, then split it so that you can move through it, pushing it against you and making you move at the speed of light."

"Wow! I cant wait to learn!"

"But before I begin, promise me something, okay?"

"Yes?"

"You must only use Alchemy as a means to protect yourself, or to help others. At times when Alchemy doesnt have to be used, use your own ingenuity. Dont abuse this type of Alchemy, or any other. Understand?"

"Okay, I get it. Can we start now?" The man laughed.

"If you want. Make sure you're ready! I'm not going to go easy."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Char's eyes snapped open and she gasped, sitting bolt upright and nearly tumbling off the roof. "Wait..where they my memories? But...why?" she wondered.

"Char? Charleen! Where are you!" a voice called from below here.

"Up here!" she called, leaning over the edge. Ed was leaning out of her window and looked up when she called down to him.

"What the hell are you doing up there?" he demanded.

"I got tired," she replied, shrugging. She reached down and grasped the top of the window, then flipped and swung down, flinging her through window and landing on her bed. She giggled and got up, stretching. Ed shook his head.

"Come on, breakfast's ready. Hurry up, we're leaving soon. Winry wants to go to Rush Valley." Char looked at him.

"What's Rush Valley?" she asked.

"It's a place where you can buy automail. Literally every shop features automail, which is why Winry demanded we go there."

"Hmm...Are you going to buy some automail for your arm and leg too?"

"No. Winry does the work on my arm and leg, so if she thinks it's good enough, that's fine by me."

"Aww, Edward, I think that's the sweetest thing I've ever heard you say," Winry said, walking through the door with her suitcase. She looked at both of them. "Are you ready to go yet? I'm not waiting any longer than I have to."

"Let me just get packed," Char said, pulling out a small backpack. She gathered her few clothes together (consisting of a pair of pj's, several pairs of clean pants and socks, a hairbrush, deoderant and any other essentials she needed). When she was packed she swung it onto her back. "Okay, I'm  ready," she said, grinning.

"Then let's go!" Winry laughed.

The train pulled in at the station and they all got out, staring at the vast crowds around them. "I didnt know this place was so popular," said Al in surprise.

"Of course it's popular! Rush Valley has all the latest news and models of automail. Practically everyone would die to come here!" Winry cried.

"Except me," muttered Char and Ed together. Winry looked at them, her eyes glinting. She advanced towards them with her wrench.

"What's going to stop me killing you?" she asked. Ed laughed nervously and backed away, but Char gave a smirk at Ed then looked at Winry with wide eyes.

"If you're happy with being here, I'm happy too," she said with a smile. Winry blinked, then smiled as well.

"Thank you Char. At least you dont go around calling me a gearhead like Alchemy Freak over there," she said, before turning to Ed with a dangerous look in her eye.

"H-Hey, no fair! I dont have any type of defence against you!" he cried, backing away rapidly. Char and Al watched for a while before Char glanced at Al.

"Should I go save him?" she asked innocently.

"I think you should," he replied. Char nodded and skipped forward, tugging at Winry's sleeve. She looked at Char.

"Winry, if you kill Ed now, he wont be able to pay for any of the automail models you might want to buy. Plus, chasing Ed around now will mean that you waste the time you have looking at the automail," she said in her sweetest voice. Winry considered, then nodded.

"You're right Char. Alright then, let's go!" she cried, turning and leading the way. Char glanced at Ed, who glared at her.

"Shut up," he muttered before stalking off, Char laughing.

"Can we go to the hotel now?" asked Ed 6 hours later.

"No!" both girls replied together.

"Why not?" moaned Ed.

"I still need automail parts..."

"...And I still want a souvenir!"

"Why am I carrying everything again?!" wailed Al.

They finally headed to the hotel, quickly booking two rooms before trudging upstairs. When they got to the rooms, Ed collapsed on his bed and Al lowered everything to the floor. "Please dont make me do that again...That's twice now..." muttered Ed.

"That's what you get for having a soft spot," said Char, shaking her head.

"Shut up! I thought I told you not to talk about that!" Ed said sharply, his expression annoyed. Char giggled.

"Did you? I guess I forgot. Must be why I told Al, Winry, Izumi, Mustang, Hawkeye, Havick and all the rest..." she began before Ed leapt at her.

"You didnt actually tell all of them, right?" he asked desperately.

"Why dont you ring them and find out?" suggested Char smugly.

"Nooo! You didnt, did you? Please tell me you didnt!" he begged. Char patted him on the head.

"At least your nickname still stands because of your arm and leg," she said sweetly. Ed stared at her then seemed to deflate, sinking to the floor. Winry shook her head.

"You're a suprisingly evil child," she said. Char looked at her in delight.

"You figured it out? Yayy!" she squealed, jumping at her and hugging her. Winry smiled and obliged by spinning her around a couple of times. When Char finally stopped hugging her, she was red faced and dizzy. She sat down on Ed's bed and sighed, leaning back and curling up. Ed watched her for a moment before blinking in surprise as he realised she had fallen asleep.

"She must have been really tired. I guess we'll just let her sleep for now," he decided, his golden eyes watching her gently.