Chapter 16

As she jumped back to avoid his attack, Hohenheim suddenly shouted, "Char, out of the way!" She glanced back at him and saw a red crackle going across the floor. As she landed briefly she leapt back, landing beside Ed.

"Hohenheim, why are you fighting me? There's no way you could make a transmutation circle big enough to stop me now."

"I dont need to draw a transmutation circle. The sun and the moon crossing makes all the circle I need," Hohenheim replied evenly. Homunculus' eyes widened in shock as suddenly light shot towards him. He cried out in pain as the energy he had acquired from the human souls began to leave him.

Everyone watched in shock as lights began to shoot from him, flying out of the giant hole in the roof. As they spread out all over Amestris, there were coughs and cries from the people which had been silent only seconds before.

Suddenly Homunculus began to scream, clutching at his body in pain. "Hohenheim, what's going on?" asked Ed as the black tentacles loosened their grip and retracted, allowing them all to stand up.

"He cant sustain the 'God' within him. It's fighting for freedom," Hohenheim replied. Suddenly Homunculus went still, before raising his head to look at the group.

Hohenheim's eyes widened. "Everyone, get back! He's trying to take more energy!" he called, standing up and running back, but the others were too slow. Homunculus raised his hand and red light crackled out of it, curling around the group before circling Char. She gave a cry as her energy began to disspear, vanishing from within her, before Ed cannoned into him and the light faded.

Char fell to her knees, panting, while the others watched as Homunculus seemed to regain some of his composure. "You had a surprising amount of energy for one so young," he said. Then he gave a superior smile. "And now it is mine."

"Char, are you okay?" asked Al, kneeling beside her. She nodded, standing up. 

"I dont know what that guy did, but I'm feeling a bit weaker," she replied.

"Can you still fight?" asked Izumi sharply. Char glanced at her, then back at Homunculus.

"Yes," she replied.

Before any of them could react, the ground underneath Homunculus flew upwards, him riding on it through the holes and leaving Pride behind. "Quick, after him! He's going to make more Philosopher Stones!" Hohenheim cried, clapping his hands together and shooting upwards while Greed leapt up after him.

As the others were about to run as well, shadows wrapped themselves around Ed's arm. "Brother!" Al cried in panic.

"Go! This guy seems to have a score he wants to settle with me!" Ed called, facing Pride. Al and Char hesitated, then nodded and ran to join the others. Izumi and Al clapped their hands together before pressing them to floor and followed Hohenheim up.

They reached the next floor, which Greed had also stopped at, and Izumi stopped when she saw the others, while Al carried on with Mei. Char stood on the hand Izumi had created as she leapt off, leaping into her husbands arms.

"Honey!" she cried as he swung her around a couple of times. Olivier stepped forward, her blonde hair flying out behind her.

"This is not the time for touching reunions. We need to stop that person," she said briskly. Greed looked at her and shook his head.

"No, you should stay behind. Along with the frog, the other woman, and the blind Colonel. You're all injured, and injuries would only put us at a disadvantage," he said curtly.

Mustang looked in his general direction. "No, I'm fighting." He turned to where Riza was standing, vaguely looking in her direction. "Hawkeye, are you badly hurt?" Riza looked a bit confused.