Chapter 5

August 27, 2016

             Dear Diary,
    The first day of school was not nearly as fun as I thought it would be. For one thing, I didn't learn anything. I mean, I already KNOW how to read, and write, and do basic math. Why do I have to just learn it all again?
    I talked to Mommy and Daddy about it, and they said to give it a few more months, maybe until Christmas, and If I still wasn't learning anything by then, perhaps I could skip to second grade.
     Also, the kids were kind of mean. They called me things like "Cancer Girl" and "Sick In The Head." I don't understand why. It's not like I have Brain Cancer or anything, Leukemia just affects my blood tissue!
     I just don't get it. It's not like I wanted to be sick. It's not like I asked for this to happen. Don't they understand that I didn't chose this? That I hate the headaches and fevers, and that I would be the happiest girl in the world if I could switch places with them? Just one week, one day, one hour even, with out this... This.... Sickness is more than I could ever hope for. So why treat me like it's not?
       Rose tried to stand up for me, but then they started being mean to her, too. I wish she hadn't stood up for me. This is my problem, and I feel bad for dragging her into it.  
    I am very tired, diary. I'm going to bed.
                   Unusually pessimistic,
                                    Nix

(Ps; 'Pessimistic' is another big word Mommy taught me. It means the opposite of optimistic - it even rhymes!)