Chapter 6

September 1st, 2016

              Dear Diary,

Today was simply magnificent! And I know tomorrow will be, too!
I bet your wondering why the sudden mood change. Well, allow me to explain.
Oh, diary! I'm finally learning! New thoughts and words flood my head every day! Like this week, for example. We learned all about marine life (That's scientist talk for  animals and plants that live in the ocean) and today, we got to chose one to study and write about!
I chose sea turtles because they're fighters. The moment they're born, they have to move as fast as they can to get to the ocean without being eaten. And while they know that their brothers and sisters are being eaten, and that they're going to have to grow up all by themselves, and that they're an endangered species, the keep going, no matter what that awful first night throws at them. Mommy told me that they Persevere. Persevering is trying, even though things may seem impossible, and you've hit the bottom of the rocks. That's what I'm going to do.
And things get even better! Mommy and Daddy signed my permission slip to go to the Boston Aquarium. The whole class is going to go! We're going to pet sharks, learn about different fish, and I'm going to see a real life sea turtle! Life couldn't be better!
Well, I suppose it could. The kids in my class are still mean. They have started calling 'Sicko.' But I'm sure they'll come around. At least they've stopped being mean to Rose! But I think that's only because she started being mean to me, too.
I talked to one of the nurses about this when I went for my monthly check-up a few days ago. She said to act like I don't care, and that it will all blow over. I'm trying, but I do care, I care with all my heart. So really, it's almost like lying to myself. and lying isn't allowed, so am I braking the rules by taking Nurse Bailey's advice? I don't know. Maybe I can ask Tyler - he still likes me!

With a spark of hope in her heart,
Nix