Chapter 18

November 26th, 2016

Dear Diary,

Thanksgiving was a few days ago, and it was a feast worthy of a king! Homemade everything from loaves of bread to pie, green bean casserole to sweet potato mash with the brown sugar and marshmallows on top. Mommy had Mrs. Rose's mommy and Mr. Rose's Daddy come over so they could all 'make peace.' I'm pretty sure she was referring to Daddy and Mr. Rose's Daddy, though. Me and Rose didn't talk all night. No one did, except for our moms. But we sat in an understanding and apologetic silence. Hers apologetic, mine understanding. No words needed to be spoken, though. The sound of silence seemed to be screaming for both of us.
   Yesterday Mommy and Daddy went to go for Christmas/Hanukkah shopping. My daddy is Jewish and my Mommy is American, so instead of just alternating every other year, like they had planned originally, we celebrate both. And the best thing ever is about to happen, diary! MawMaw and PawPaw are coming!!!!
   MawMaw and PawPaw are Mommy's Mommy and Daddy. They are the very best grandparents in the world. The last time I saw them, MawMaw surprised me in the hospital with a full stack of Disney movies. We were up until the moon was at its peak watching The Princess and the Frog, Toy Story, and Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. And the time before that, PawPaw took me to the carnival (this was before I was sick) and got me cotton candy!
    I just remembered! I haven't talked about Bailey or Cookies and Cream since I got you, diary! They are sort of partners in crime now. They eat together, sleep on my bed together, and play outside together all the time. Bailey is as strong and wily as when Mommy and Daddy got her ten years ago, but Cookies and Cream is a little fat. Mommy says that he's just fluffy, but I know better. It's okay, though - he looks cute with his short, pudgy little legs underneath is large, hairy body.
   Overall, life is good, diary. Me and Rose are friends again, MawMaw and PawPaw are coming, and Christmas/Hanukkah is just around the corner!

Quite contentedly,

Nix