six

"'cause this person i don't know, the one that's staring back at me, it's not who i wanna be," michael hummed along to the music playing through his one headphone as his fingers worked across his phone's screen, working quick to text back his best friend. he was trying his best to enjoy the music playing through his ear but also listen in case matthew or mazie decided not to go to bed, even though it was almost ten and they had been sleeping for a while now.

ashy: hows the babysitting going? i miss you. i think this is the longest we've been apart.

mike: it's okay, the kids are sleeping i think and i'm just waiting on luke to get back. and i miss you too bub :-( i'll see you in a bit

ashy: did you get any pics of them? i wanna see them since you keep saying how cute they are :)

mike: not yet but i will when i babysit next!

ashy: okay. come home soon, i want your cuddles :( x

mike: i'll be home as soon as possible, i love you ashy!! x

ashy: love you too mikey xx

michael locked his phone and glanced at the television that was playing the news, causing him to frown. they were talking about the weather for the next week, and apparently there would be heavy thunderstorms for the entire week. good times, especially when michael was scared of thunder and lightning.

upon hearing the front door's knob jiggling, michael jumped and instinctively lunged for the television remote, holding it out towards the door and getting to his feet. the headphone fell out of his ear as he remained still, his heart thudding so harshly at the thought of someone intruding.

a tall blond entered the house, kicking off his shoes by the doormat and then tiredly glancing at michael, and he jumped slightly when he noticed that the teenager was using the remote as a weapon.

"michael? it's just me," luke whispered, going towards the kitchen and turning on the lights over there. michael let out a sigh of relief before putting down the remote and wandering over towards the kitchen, admiring the older man as he took off his jacket.

"sorry, thought it was an intruder," michael explained sheepishly.

"and what were you planning on doing with the remote? press the exit button in hopes of them leaving?" luke chuckled lightly, placing his car keys down on the counter and then running some fingers through his dark blond hair tiredly, "erm, how was your night?"

"fine, the twins gave me no trouble," michael replied, standing beside the island counter. as luke rolled up his sleeves to his white, collared shirt, michael hopped on the counter, wanting to sit down but not wanting to go over to the kitchen table since it was darker over there.

"oh, let me get you your money for babysitting," luke murmured, fishing his wallet out of the front pocket of his black skinny jeans. michael watched curiously as the blond settled up against the counter across from michael and took out several dollar bills, "so, you worked for six hours, and i'll pay you fourteen per hour, so that's..."

"eighty-four," michael replied, having excelled greatly in his old math classes in middle school, "but luke, that's more than enough. i would be happy with eleven per hour, which is the minimum for babysitters." (a/n i researched this shit don't fight me on this)