Prologue - For The Girl Who Has Everything

Fionna Lee had a classic case of "First World Problems" - she was a lonely girl who was never alone. Friends and family interacted with her regularly, and most, if not all, assumed she was happy with her life.

Most, if not all, were dead fucking wrong.

If only they could see her now - alone at last, and still no better.

Shivering in the chilly November night air, she stopped on the edge of the cliff, wondering how far she'd gotten from her home in Bearville. Ten miles? Twenty? Either way, she was high up in the mountains to the east of town, looking down on the steep-sided valley below. The way she came.

She chanced looking at her watch. Ten minutes to midnight, almost exactly.

Could she pull it off? Would she?

She needed to, because she felt she couldn't last another day on this Earth.

If she didn't, she'd be out of the frying pan and into the fire. By now, her parents had to have noticed she was gone - perhaps the alarm went off after she snuck out her bedroom window. Or one of them had randomly checked the GPS on her phone, which she'd stupidly brought with her, and even more stupidly thrown into Coldfire Creek when panic at the thought of being found and "rescued" overtook her.

Although maybe if she were "rescued," they'd lock her up in some psych ward - maybe the century-old asylum not too far outside of town that was supposedly haunted. Maybe that would grant her at least a temporary reprieve from the family's planned move to the Bay Area. Selfish though she knew it was, she couldn't bear the thought of being the stereotypical "new girl," the transfer student vulnerable to the pernicious influences of the Plastics or the rapey jocks or the brooding bad boy whose heart she was destined to heal.

Oh, hell no!

She looked down off the cliff, then tore across the road and hid in the bushes. She heard a distant motorcycle screaming up the narrow road, and waited for it to pass her by before going back to the cliff again. How far was the drop here? A hundred feet? If she could see it, she could maybe calculate it better, but not being a Dark warlock (or any warlock, for that matter), her night vision was dreadful at best.

Either way, if she stepped off now, she stood no chance of survival.

Fionna stuck her foot out over the edge and closed her eyes.